• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where should i go to dinner

tommy

I have to go now. There's two blocks to stumble to have some sushi at The Engleside. Have to say the sushi is very good. Sweet Vidlalia was great one night and medicore later on but they were closing for the season and it was their last night. As far as Buckalew's, drinking is the only thing that should be done there. It's gone way downhill over the last 4 years. I had lunch at Plantation today and had a good caesar and a very good Cuban sandwich.

Did I say I have to go yet?

BIGGER PFFFFFFFFFT!!! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

it's almost tuesday. i'm looking for someone low-key and not-too-challenging tonight, as i'm still tired from the weekend's activities. maybe some place around rt 4 in bergen county somewhere. should i bother trying that italian place on rt 4 west again? (a "tuscan grill" of some sort)

it's almost tuesday.  i'm looking for someone low-key and not-too-challenging tonight, as i'm still tired from the weekend's activities.  maybe some place around rt 4 in bergen county somewhere.  should i bother trying that italian place on rt 4 west again? (a "tuscan grill" of some sort)

I've heard so many lousy things about Caruso's, I couldn't go there without feeling like I have somehow wasted my time and money. That and the fact that David Caruso is single handedly keeping me from watching CSI:Miami.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

adegiulio---Where have you been dining the past few weeks?

Well, we have had a lot of personal events going on lately, so we have not been eating out too much. Went to Village Green one night and Alain Ducasse this past Saturday for our anniversary. It was pretty good... :biggrin:

I've heard so many lousy things about Caruso's, I couldn't go there without feeling like I have somehow wasted my time and money. That and the fact that David Caruso is single handedly keeping me from watching CSI:Miami.

the chance of seeing his ass single handedly keeps me from watching CSI:Miami.

likely meeting a friend somewhere between NYC and parsippany for dinner tonight. we'll eat anything, and still like decent wines-by-the-glass, and bar dining is also fun with a friend. the obvious answer is An American Grill, but i'm open to suggestions. off the top of my head i'm coming up with:

AAG

China 46 (i don't mind bringing wine here)

that new thai place out between 46 and 80 by CD World...something "River" i think. (BYO???)

that german place out in parsippany (Top Notch?)

that german place near/in montclair (Top Notch?)

that german place out in parsippany (Top Notch?)

that german place near/in montclair (Top Notch?)

Unless they opened a third Top Notch, they are in Montclair and Madison, and both are BYOB, thereby killing the bar dining option...

Unless they opened a third Top Notch, they are in Montclair and Madison, and both are BYOB, thereby killing the bar dining option...

yo homes, check it.

from what i understand, madison and parsippany are related, and montclair is slightly removed. although, i think *you* told me that, so i'm not sure where i heard it.

yo homes, check it.

from what i understand, madison and parsippany are related, and montclair is slightly removed.  although, i think *you* told me that, so i'm not sure where i heard it.

It may have been me, tommy.

I believe Kevin owns Madison and Parsippany. His dad and mom own Montclair and have an interest in Madison. I don't know how the ownership of Parsippany is allocated, but that's new, within the past year or so.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

River Kwai is indeed byo--there's no bar there.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand? Do you live by some sort of freakish rules about eating the same type of food in a 12-hour period, Tommy?!? Heehee! I suspect I know the answer already. :laugh:

Do you want a 'scene' or a place where you can actually catch up with someone?

Other options, btw...Rocca, Mignon in Rutherford, Sesame in Montclair (or is anything Asian out of the question?), Trattoria Fresco (Caldwell)--and if it's this warm this evening, you could dine al fresco!, Saffron (E. Hanover), in Morristown, French Origin Th...er, never mind. Why don't you just go to Lou's?!?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand? Do you live by some sort of freakish rules about eating the same type of food in a 12-hour period, Tommy?!? 

actually not at all. in fact a friend yesterday suggested that she couldn't have vietnamese food for dinner because she had it for lunch. i suggested that vietnamese people eat it 3 times a day every day and that was no reason to not have it for dinner.

you make good suggestions, 'specially mignon.

Edited by tommy (log)

Yeah, there are lots of places that I hear are good but haven't been to yet, and that's one of them! Enjoy. And do let us know where you ended up!!

PS, I'm with you on the idea that ________ people eat ___________ food 3x a day! When my friends with kids say "Oh, that's too spicy for my kid, I say that the kids from (Thailand, Mexico, India, etc.) eat that kind of food from the beginning..." Great minds! :biggrin:

So...? Where did you end up last night, Tommy?