• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best San Francisco Tapas Places

Stone

A bunch of other threads have some disussion of the ubiquitous tapas restaurants in SF. Let's move all that discussion here.

One place that hasn't been mentioned in Destino (Market and Octavia-ish). Great little place. Peruvian tapas? Excellent ceviche. Terrific donuts for desert.

Platanos is a nice new place at 18th and Guererro (in the space that used to have an Ethiopian restaurant). Excellent pupusas (sp?). Nice casual atmosphere.

What's that place in the Mission on 16th St. across from the Roxie Theater? Next to the crepe place (Ti Couz?)? It used to be a divey cafe hang out, Picaro? I forget what it's called now, but it if it didn't serve tapas, it served tapas-like food. Pretty good too, the one time I was there. But then, it might not even be there anymore since I don't remember how long ago I ate there. I just don't make it to that neighborhood as often as I used to.

What's that place in the Mission on 16th St. across from the Roxie Theater?  Next to the crepe place (Ti Couz?)?  It used to be a divey cafe hang out, Picaro?  I forget what it's called now, but it if it didn't serve tapas, it served tapas-like food.  Pretty good too, the one time I was there.  But then, it might not even be there anymore since I don't remember how long ago I ate there.  I just don't make it to that neighborhood as often as I used to.

That place is indeed called Picaro, and they do serve Spanish tapas. It's run by the same people as Esperpento at 22nd & Valencia.

For authentic Spanish Tapas, then I'd say the best place I've been to in the city is Zarzuela, on the corner of Union and Hyde in Russian Hill. Really good stuff there, it's really feels like a little trip to Spain. Next on my list would be Ramblas on Valencia between 16th and 17th, though it's not quite in the same league as Zarzuela. Then would come Picaro/Esperpento, and finally Timo's, which I didn't care for too much. Interesting to note that 4 of these 5 restaurants are in the Mission.

For the more generic small plates category, my favorite place is still Chez Nous (Fillmore at Bush), which does French inspired small plates. It's owned by Pascal Rigo, who also owns the Bay Bread boulangerie mini chain (Bay Bread, Boulangerie de Cole, Boulangerie on Polk and Marinette), as well as a few other restaurants (La Table/La Table du Chef, Le Petit Robert and Marinette). Their lamb chops are fabulous, and I also really like their mediterranean spreads (tarama and tzatziki, used to also include baba ganoush) and their french fries (comes with an harissa mayonaise). The main drawback is that they don't take reservations.

I also really like A Cote in Oakland (same people who run Citron next door), another really good place, but the wait can be quite long on weekend nights. I've been to Isa once, and was not too impressed: I think Chez Nous and A Cote do a better job in the French small plates segment. Chez Papa on Potrero Hill is also very good, but it's sort of a mix between a small plates restaurant and a bistrot, it's a bit hard to categorize it. Piperade, which I also like quite a bit, has a lot of small plates on its menu, so it may also qualify to some extent.

On the broader international small plates restaurants, I like Andalu (which has gotten some poor reviews on this site), and I also enjoyed bacar (more for the wine list than the food). I'd like to try Destino and Platanos, as well as Grashopper in Oakland. Terra Brazilis in Hayes Valley (Hayes & Laguna, across from Suppenkuche) has quite a few small plates on its menu, and is probably the best Brazilian restaurant in the city. Their pao de quejo (Brazilian cheese bread that comes with the meal) is very good, the best example I've had in the Bay Area.

I agree with Zarzuela. It's definitely a step above, at least in terms of class. They're larger plates are excellent. I've been to Chez Nous as well, which is very good. I've heard mixed reviews about Terra Brazilis in Hayes.

• 10 months later...
For authentic Spanish Tapas, then I'd say the best place I've been to in the city is Zarzuela, on the corner of Union and Hyde in Russian Hill. Really good stuff there, it's really feels like a little trip to Spain.

I like Zarzuela a lot also; it's been awhile since I've been there though--so hard to find parking near Russian Hill!

Another place I don't see listed here is Thirsty Bear Brewery near SFMOMA and Moscone Center. Always fresh and tasty; nice atmosphere too. I love going there during the day during an off time when it is a little quiet and sun is streaming in through the skylights.

Some good things:

fish cheeks in sherry sauce

manchego croquetas with romesco

grilled wild mushrooms with sherry and garlic

mixed seafood ceviche

thirsty bear

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Whoa - I got here too late...everyone's already mentioned most of my fave spots, so I'll just chime in with support for them. Destino is quite good and a nice alternative to the tapas you get elsewhere. Picaro/Esperpento and Ramblas all serve reasonably good facsimiles of actual tapas; the latter offers quite authentic Catalan tapas. Thirsty Bear is great -- do check out B-44 on Belden Alley for even more pumped-up Andalucian tapas; the original chef from TB started that up, and it's probably my fave tapas place in town. Platanos is seriously good eats, but it's not really tapas at all.

Lots of people seem to go gaga for Timo's, but frankly I cannot abide that place. Similarly, Alma gets good marks, but I was not blown away by the food there.

I have yet to check out Limón, which has been on everyone's lips of late it seems. Also, there's a new place on Guerrero/21st called Little Spain (in the former Luisa's, which now occupies the former Mangiafuoco) that I've been itching to try out as well.

Hedonia

Eating, drinking and living the good life in San Francisco

Lots of people seem to go gaga for Timo's,

Timo's was great several years ago, but went seriously downhill pretty quickly, IMHO.

I have yet to check out Limón, which has been on everyone's lips of late it seems.

I love Limón, but it's not a tapas or "small plates" style restaurant. Though they do have some great appetizers, it's a conventional app-main-dessert place -- Peruvian menu.

I was intrigued by what I read re: Isa (french tapas). Anyone been therea?

Isa, an intimate restaurant in the Marina, serves delicious small plates which are fun to share. Creative salads, fish, lamb chops, wonderful foie gras. I never thought of it as French tapas, but I guess you could consider the food similar to tapas, but very elegantly done. Highly recommended. Good selection of wines by the glass, too

Roz

ate our way through the tapas menu at fonda last week. (is that berkeley or albany? i'm not from around here...) delicious and beautiful, and the plates just kept coming. i loved the "vuelve de la vida"---loved saying it, over and over. (means "a return to life", supposedly a hangover remedy.) crab, maybe cod, and scallops, in a spicy, lime-y brothiness, topped with avocado cubes. mmmm. our other stand out fav were the duck tostaditas wtih pomegranate seds...the pop of the seeds was just lovely with the rich duck meat. mmmmm. i think i would be there every night if i lived in the vicinity.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Has anyone tried Caesar's in Berkeley? I've heard good things about it but haven't been.

I went to Cesar's after the Fancy Foods Show - for the second time (first time for cocktails only).

My girlfriend, Kat, and I shared Salt Cod Cake that was a tad spicy for me, some lovely aromatic mussels in a bowl that was completely cleaned out with the crusty bread they served, shredded pork, and a variety of grilled vegetables. All were served with an endless supply of olives, which I appreciate. When I go back, I want to try this drink that I kept seeing prepared - the name of which escapes me at the moment (mint, rum, spritzer...) I also appreciate their selection of sherries, cognacs, and apperitifs.

Not exactly SF, but in Napa there is Zuzu's which is charming, fabulous and I'm sure will be discussed by Melkor et al (I'll comment on it later as well...)

When I go back, I want to try this drink that I kept seeing prepared - the name of which escapes me at the moment (mint, rum, spritzer...)

mojito? or maybe caipirinha? ( had one or two caipirinhas at fonda---they really sneak up!)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

When I go back, I want to try this drink that I kept seeing prepared - the name of which escapes me at the moment (mint, rum, spritzer...)

mojito? or maybe caipirinha? ( had one or two caipirinhas at fonda---they really sneak up!)

Mojito is it!

Thanks.

Not exactly SF, but in Napa there is Zuzu's which is charming, fabulous and I'm sure will be discussed by Melkor et al (I'll comment on it later as well...)

Winos (& Wine Ho's?) will want to know that Zuzu has a very impressive wine list specifically designed for pairing with tapas. Not a bad selection of beers, either :cool:

Zuzu Wine List

On our last night of the week of the fancy food show, My wife and I ate at, BARAKA...

Located in Portrero Hill... Great ambience, wonderful food and great service....

Our best value meal of the week after draining our bank account at Chez Panisse,

Gary Danko and Slanted Door...

A sort of Morrocan/Spanish combo kind of tapas kind of thing...

Highly recomended... and oh yeah, A great wine list with very good by the glass selections...

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

Winos (& Wine Ho's?) will want to know that Zuzu has a very impressive wine list specifically designed for pairing with tapas. Not a bad selection of beers, either :cool:

Zuzu Wine List

Absolutely, but it doesn't exactly qualify as SF. That said, it's a great place to eat when your in town - less good if your a local since they are somewhat slow to change their menu. Most everything they serve is excellent, and with a sufficently large group (four or more) you can eat the entire menu in one night.

We ate at Cortez in the Hotel Adagio on Geary Street on Christmas Eve. Fun place. Very new-school/modern. The drink menu is great, albeit pricey at $9 - $11 for martinis. I remember the French Fries with Harissa Sauce, Terrine of Foie Gras, Short Ribs with Marrow, and a few other gems. Very hip, very trendy, somewhat pricey, and oh so tastey.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any feedback on Iluna Basque or Alegrias? I'll be in SF in July, so am trying to put together a list of lunch and dinner possibilities. (Important things first, right?) :wink:

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

The last time I was at Piperade, a month or so ago, I heard chef Hirigoyen talked to his friends at a nearby table about a new "tapas" place he's going to open somewhere in either Union Square or the financial district. I forgot the name.

Anyone heard of it? been there? how is it? What's the name by the way? I'd like to give it a try.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Does anyone have any feedback on Iluna Basque

I loved lluna basque, though not every dish was successful. Here is a rundown of the dishes that shouldn't be missed, if they are on the menu.

seared tuna in cabrales or roquefort cream

crisp fried potatoes with vinegar and herbs, you won't believe these goodies!

artichokes with sweetbreads

artichokes with scallops

pineapple gratin

the tortilla, chicken stewy sort of dish, and the charcuterie plate were least favourites.

the basque rose was delightful!

really loved it, in any case. ask the waitstaff to ask the chef--a mere baby of a boy--to recommend some dishes for you!

x marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

The last time I was at Piperade, a month or so ago, I heard chef Hirigoyen talked to his friends at a nearby table about a new "tapas" place he's going to open somewhere in either Union Square or the financial district.  I forgot the name.

Anyone heard of it?  been there?  how is it?  What's the name by the way?  I'd like to give it a try.

According to Food & Wine, it's going to be called "Bocadillos". It's supposed to be in the Financial District near Jackson Square, I think, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

I also read that Daniel Patterson (of the late Elisabeth Daniel) is supposed to be opening a small plates place in the same area called "Frisson". One of these early days I'm going to have to make a point of getting downtown and checking these places out.

Squeat

Thank you, Marlena! Your favorites sound intriguing- especially the artichoke dishes. As you might imagine, I'm having trouble narrowing down my choices for the four days I'll be in town, so the various threads in this forum have been lots of help! :smile:

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

I've heard good things about Iluna Basque so far, and am planning to eat there next Sunday, I'll try to report back. I ate at Alegrias a couple of months ago and was not overly impressed. For Spanish tapas, I think Zarzuela in Russian Hill or Cesar in Berkeley are better choices.

Frisson is not open yet, but the website already has a menu posted, so I suspect it's only days away from opening. It certainly looks intriguing, both for the food and the decor, expect it to become a scene very quickly.

Bocadillos was originally supposed to open around now, but it seems to still be a couple of months away: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...FDGMH675DL1.DTL. But Piperade Cafe has opened, though the menu does not look very interesting.