• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teabag Brewing

Schielke

I just picked up a big box of TenRen green teabags for use at work during the day.

The directions on the back of the bag say to pour boiling water over tea bag and let sit for 2-4 minutes as desired before removing the bag. While these directions are fine for those in zero G environments, I think I would have a big mess on the floor if I didn't use a mug.

Also, 2-4 min is an awful big window. At what point does the tea start to become bitter? I also remember hearing that green tea should be prepared with water just under boiling temp. What is the best way to brew green tea from a bag? I would buy loose and do it old school style, but I dont know if the management would dig a tea ceremony going on in the break room.

For what it's worth, each bag holds 2g of tea.

Thanks!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Even though it's bagged, I'd brew the green the same as looseleaf: no more than 6 ounces of water at 160 degrees F for one to one & a half minutes - any longer and it will likely be too astringent or get that lick-an-ashtray taste, depending on the type of green.

If that doesn't give you enough of the experience you want, then increase the number of bags with a smaller increase of water. Usually, I brew greens with a porportion of 3 grams of tea to 6 ounces of water. So you could use two bags in 8 ounces of water.

memesuze

A good green tea should never need more than 20- 30 seconds infusion time. Any more and it is either too old or of very poor quality.

slowfood/slowwine