• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spirit of the Caribbean

Ed Hamilton

An International Rum Taste Competition will be held April 1-4, 2004 in Sint Maarten as part of the Spirit of the Caribbean Exhibition featuring Rums, Cigars and other Fine Things from the Caribbean.

In addition to Caribbean rums there will also be rums from around the world.

The International Rum Taste Competition will be conducted by the Ministry of Rum and judging will be done by a panel of experts in the rum industry as well as journalists and people who appreciate rum.

There will be several categories including Spiced, Flavored, White, Dark, Premium Aged. There will also be a rhum agricole category for White and Aged rum from the French Caribbean Islands.

Spirit of the Caribbean . net

If you plan on being in St Maarten during that time and would like to be considered as a judge send an email to rumtasting@ministryofrum.com

Edited by Ed Hamilton (log)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Saint Martin + Rum competition.... wow that's two of my favorite things in the entire world.

Will you be serving Rum Jumbie Ribs as well? Thats the only thing I can think of to improve the situation.

Wish I could be there...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'll talk to the people that bottle Rum Jumbie and see what I can do. I'll be looking for some judges but that will come some time closer to the actual date.

Hmm. May have to force myself to go on vacation on short notice.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

You've got plenty of time to plan for this one. The date is 2004 and not next month.

Dude, I am so there.

• 10 months later...

It is with great regret that I have to post the cancellation of the Spirit of the Caribbean exhibition and the International Rum Tasting in St Martin, April 1-4, 2004 due to unexpected problems with the organizer Caribex.

However, there are plans in the works to bring this much anticipated event to another venue and I will post details as soon as the plans are confirmed.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.