• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Tartlets

Fat Guy

Tartlets.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Name something that can't.

Pink lemonade.

Okay, you choose between the following:

- One glass of pink lemonade

- One glass of pink lemonade and five strips of bacon

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Are we talking about pink lemonade mixed with five strips of bacon or are we talking about the bacon on the side?

If it's on the side, I'm with you. Otherwise I stand by my previous statement.

I'm talking about lemonade and bacon the same way you'd have bacon and eggs -- side-by-side. But I don't really know what happens when you mix them. I mean, if you take a bit of bacon and, while you're still masticating it, you wash it down with some pink lemonade, you're essentially making a lemonade-and-bacon smoothie in your mouth. And I know that's going to be good. So I don't know. It would require research. Until tests are performed, I think the presumption remains that bacon is a net benefit to any food. But I digress. How 'bout that tarlet recipe? And isn't that Mamster one funny writer? Or am I the only one who thinks so (wouldn't be the first time)?

In the onion people vs. garlic people debate, where do the shallot people fit in?

Been awhile since I read Revelations, but aren't they the ones Jesus spits out? :blink:

I must say, though, that I give my love to all three lilies indiscriminately and with abandon. Must we choose one before the others?

It was a good essay, though, and the bit about the fear of a flaky pie crust rings true. My pastry skills are improving, but I still approach the flaky pie crust in fear and trembling.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

In the onion people vs. garlic people debate, where do the shallot people fit in?

I guess you're not familiar with "the shallot people" and what that phrase is code for.

I guess you're not familiar with "the shallot people" and what that phrase is code for.

O dear.

Is this one of the "conspiracies" Tommy mentioned in another thread?

:unsure:

I'd take the bacon in the pink lemonade if that was the way it came. drink the lemonade first, then obliterate the bacony lemon taste with the bacon.

Mamster, skip the crust and line the tart rounds with bacon.

But if you're dead set on a flaky crust, use shortening, and skip the fear.

Schielke, if you don't know what tartlets are, clearly you haven't read my translation of Lolita.

Probably if I revisit this recipe, I'll trying making a lard crust--Beranbaum recommends lard for all her savory pies and tarts, but I was too lazy to render lard and don't trust the supermarket stuff. Speaking of which, did anyone read the lard pie crust article in the current Saveur? I loved it.

I'd put shallots on the onion side of the ledger because they have separable leaves. This is not a botanical opinion, just that I love shallots almost as much as onions and am looking for some way to fit that into my onion-scented world view.

One thing I must add is that all of you should buy flan rings. We've used them for several different things now and they rule. Laurie made these chocolate tarts with orange cream for a dinner party last week, and people went ape. Ape!

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Schielke, if you don't know what tartlets are, clearly you haven't read my translation of Lolita.

So, when you bake these tartlets, do you use a pale fire??

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

QUOTE (mamster @ Mar 11 2003, 08:00 AM)

So, when you bake these tartlets, do you use a pale fire??

Or the light of your life and the fire of your loins?

OK, enough with the coyness and just spit it out - whatchu talkin' 'bout?

so for those of you who are terrified of flaky pastry, use puff pastry as is the case for Michel Richard's Alsatian Onion Tart in Baking With Julia. ohmigod you can't stop yourself from devouring the entire tart....hmmmm, considering the turn this thread has taken,perhaps I should watch my phraseology! :unsure:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

so for those of you who are terrified of flaky pastry, use puff pastry as is the case for Michel Richard's Alsatian Onion Tart in Baking With Julia.

This is what I do when I make onion tarts in quantity as hors d'ouevres for parties. Works out very well.

so for those of you who are terrified of flaky pastry, use puff pastry as is the case for Michel Richard's Alsatian Onion Tart in Baking With Julia.  ohmigod you can't stop yourself from devouring the entire tart....hmmmm, considering the turn this thread has taken,perhaps I should watch my phraseology! :unsure:

Yes, but then it's not pie crust.