• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culture Combo/Clash

CooksQuest

The other day I made some empanada beef (with the traditional Spanish mix of ingredients) but used Chinese Shanghai-style skins instead of the empanada skins. Fried 'em up pretty good on the stovetop.

It was a great surprise, since guests were expecting a traditional chinese dumpling filling.

Any other culture combo/clash ideas for a little fun with the guests?...

The other day I made some empanada beef (with the traditional Spanish mix of ingredients) but used Chinese Shanghai-style skins instead of the empanada skins.  Fried 'em up pretty good on the stovetop.

It was a great surprise, since guests were expecting a traditional chinese dumpling filling. 

Any other culture combo/clash ideas for a little fun with the guests?...

Actually, I have a Jewish friend that makes meat-filled empanadas for Hanukkah. She, too, uses Asian wrappers. She says that they are kosher, which traditional empanada dough would not be with the meat filling.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I use phyllo quite a bit to wrap appetizers, and rarely stick with traditional Middle Eastern fillings. At my parties, you're as likely to bite into ham and Gruyere or smoked turkey and chipotle or mushrooms and brie as you would be to get spinach and feta in your phyllo triangle.

I have a Jewish friend that makes meat-filled empanadas for Hanukkah.  She, too, uses Asian wrappers.  She says that they are kosher, which traditional empanada dough would not be with the meat filling.

Yeah, but it's the pork fat that makes them flakey. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I use phyllo quite a bit to wrap appetizers, and rarely stick with traditional Middle Eastern fillings. At my parties, you're as likely to bite into ham and Gruyere or smoked turkey and chipotle or mushrooms and brie as you would be to get spinach and feta in your phyllo triangle.

Wow that sounds delicious!

I have a Jewish friend that makes meat-filled empanadas for Hanukkah.  She, too, uses Asian wrappers.  She says that they are kosher, which traditional empanada dough would not be with the meat filling.

Yeah, but it's the pork fat that makes them flakey. :biggrin:

Well, as I ain't MOT, I ain't telling her. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.