• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to buy at A.H. Riise

JPH712

AH Riise rum can -only- be bought at that store, so dont forget to buy some.

Try to get as many French Rhum Agricoles as you can find, because those will be problematic to get in the US as well.

Have the guys there seek out the most rare and weird aged rums as they can find for you, otherwise you'll hit yourself on the head if you can't get them when you get home.

Hopefully, you won't be going there on a cruise, because you want to be able to go shopping on a day the cruise ships AREN'T in town, i beleive the "bad" day is on a wednesday, where there are up to 5 ships in at a time. St. Thomas gets totally mobbed.

I would first hit the local supermarkets BEFORE AH Riise only because their prices will be better, and then for the really unusual stuff go to AH Riise afterwards. At the supermarkets you should be able to find Cruzan Single Barrel Estate and a few other good rums, if you can't get it at home, definitely get some there.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

AH Riise bottles a 6 to 12 year old rum that their bartender at the restaurant in the alley didn't even know about. It's pricy but great rum in a beautifully etched bottle. They also bottle a 3 to 6 year old rum that is also very good.

Additionally AH Riise bottles several flavored rums under other labels, Calypso is one of them. Their chocolate rum is great and you can taste all of them at their store.

There are some other stores but like Jason posted check the grocery stores as well. Pueblo right up from the cruise ship dock has a selection that varies but worth checking. As for how much to bring back, bring all you can carry. Customs in Miami is pretty good if you pack a case or so in your luggage. What they don't like are the highly overproof rums from Jamaica.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Jason, are you saying to ask at AH Riise for the French Rhum Agricoles? I never noticed any on their shelves, do they have items for sale that are not on display?

I might also suggest a store down the street from A H Riise - Caribana (sp?) They had a nice selection of Rums the last time I was there. If you're arriving by plane, when you arrive, stop by the store in airport and pick up a bottle or two to drink while you're there, their prices aren't as cheap as downtown, but are still quite a bit cheaper on a better selection than you can find in the U.S.

Jason, are you saying to ask at AH Riise for the French Rhum Agricoles?  I never noticed any on their shelves, do they have items for sale that are not on display?

I might also suggest a store down the street from A H Riise - Caribana (sp?) They had a nice selection of Rums the last time I was there.  If you're arriving by plane, when you arrive, stop by the store in airport and pick up a bottle or two to drink while you're there, their prices aren't as cheap as downtown, but are still quite a bit cheaper on a better selection than you can find in the U.S.

Its been so long since I've been there, and I wasnt LOOKING specifically for those things the last time I was there. I wasn't even really into rum then, so I don't know what they currently have.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

AH Riise used to carry a few rhum agricoles but also check a couple of doors down to the west and there are other stores that will have it. Enjoy St Thomas and when you're tired of shopping it's worth checking out the view from Hotel 1829 just above the town. The owner is a rum afficianado and if the bar is open when you're there they have a good selection.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.