• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New oven on the horizon

JAZ

Just received a press release from GE on a new oven that's due for the market in September. This new "GEProfile ™ Oven" with "Innovection ™ Technology" combines thermal, convection and metal-safe microwave energies. Reading between the lines, I gather that the oven has pre-programmed settings for various food types (breads, roasts, baked potatoes, etc.) that combine the three types of heat energy to cook the foods fast but maintain the desirable moisture and crispness levels. Prices will range from about $2400 (single wall oven) to about $3900 (double wall oven), with range models available for about $2900.

An accompanying reprint from Popular Science magazine gives the oven its "Grand Award Winner" designation, noting that in addition to cooking foods faster (a baked potato takes 17 minutes' turkeys roast at 5 minutes per pound), the oven retains the desirable results that come from slower cooking, so you get good browning and retain moisture.

Here's my favorite intriguing quote from the press release: ..."these ovens also offer traditional cooking methods: baking, broiling, roasting, and true European convection. Addtional modes include defrost, warm, proof, self-clean, and help." This now has me wondering what kiind of help I can get from this oven. Advice on my wardrobe? Help with my finances? Suggestions about my love life? Now, that would be worth $3000.

Yeah, I got that press package too. But I didn't read it as thoroughly as you did. :hmmm:

What I want to know is: will GE now partner with ConAgra, Tyson, and so on, to bring out a line of pre-cut meats and vegetables, plus other ingredients, to use for THEIR recipes (that had better accompany the oven)? Oh, and a special line of cookware, too. Because basically what they're doing is taking the cook out of the cooking. Just plop OUR "meat" and "vegetables" in OUR exclusive cookware, pop it into OUR oven, hit the buttons for that specific program, and come back in a few minutes to a complete "dinner" with almost no effort -- or thought -- on your part. :angry::angry:

I'm really curious about what the instruction book, and the recipes in it, will be like.

Will it come with a temp probe and be programmable to turn off once the desired temp is reached?

This functionality has been around since the 50's and I really wish they'd put it back in the new stoves.

Will it come with a temp probe and be programmable to turn off once the desired temp is reached?

This functionality has been around since the 50's and I really wish they'd put it back in the new stoves.

My new kitchenaid oven does this. :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yet another stove; this one "refridgerated."

I saw this one when I went to buy my new (cheap, electric) stove. It'd be great for busy folks, with kids, etc.: you could put something in the oven the night before and have it cooked when you got home. But I still can't shake the feeling that an oven/fridge somehow violates the laws of nature...