• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long weekend in Philly

tommy

501 downtown is decent, in harrisburg. good quality seafood, would have preferred more to the sides with the fish. little comedy club downstairs as well.

their site

no byobs that i know of. only been to harrisburg once, in february, when i went to 501.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Looking for Bed and Breakfasts actually, or shockingly cool lil hotels, en route between loveyerbrotown and harrisville

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

If your trip takes you toward Kennett Square / Longwood Gardens / Brandywine Conservancy, I'd suggest the Fairville Inn on PA 52. It's just above the Delaware line.

Very nice, somewhat upscale B&B a few minutes from Longwood, Wintherthur, Delaware Museum, etc

Fairville Inn

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Looking for Bed and Breakfasts actually, or shockingly cool lil hotels, en route between loveyerbrotown and harrisville

never heard of either of those towns.

that first one sounds especially weird. i'll have to look that up.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I am leaving right now for Philly for our annual Easter Brunch at Striped Bass with our UPENN brat.

Food and service always top notch.

Like when I call for a reservation and they know who I am even though I am not a regular.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

• 2 weeks later...
what about dinardo's for crabs?  i see no mention of this place, but hear it's pretty good. thoughts?

i always thought dinardo's was just living on reputation now, but others with firsthand info are better equipped to comment.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

DiNardo's = Snarky service. I prefer to order a bushel of crabs there and take them elsewhere or to a party. I have a friend who orders a big box for his annual beach party. The crabs are much better on the deck at his oceanfront home in LBI and without the nasty service. I still think that Bonk's and Byrne's are better if you want to get down and dirty right on the spot.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

nice city you people have here. can you do you something about this *&$%#*^$in weather? thanks.

crabs at bonk's were real good. django was great to good. cheesesteak was fun. franklin institute was filled wth kids. pork sammy's, striiped bass, and morimoto left. so far, so good.

this thread served as our tour guide. thanks again.

pork sammy's,

what the frig is that?

should have been "pork sammies", which, i suppose, is pork sandwiches, from that place in that other place with the greens and the aged cheese. i'm on webtv and have no patience for correcting typos and whatnot. :smle:

Tommy:

When is your ressie at Striped Bass? PM me if you see this before hand so I can make sure they know you're a "special" guest/FOK (friend of Katie). I assume it isn't under "Tommy", right? :wink:

We just got some interesting wines in today. Ask to speak to Jason, the sommelier, and he should be very helpful.

Have a nice dinner!

Katie

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

pork sammy's,

what the frig is that?

should have been "pork sammies", which, i suppose, is pork sandwiches, from that place in that other place with the greens and the aged cheese. i'm on webtv and have no patience for correcting typos and whatnot. :smle:

so is that supposed to be tommy dinic's, tony luke's, shank and evelyn's or someplace else?

screw the typos, gimme something close to the name.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

pork sammy's,

what the frig is that?

I'm assuming /

"Other Place": Tommy DeNic's

"In that other place": Reading Terminal Maket

There or George's in the Italian Market, just off Christian, would be my choice for a pork sandwich. I know, Tony Luke's too. Very good, but not my favorite.

Tommy, if you don't get Sat or Sun breakfast at Carman's Country Kitchen, a cab ride away at 11th and Wharton in South Philly, you're missing something very special and very unique. If you're going to be later than 9, on the weekend, call that morning for a reservation.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

so what's the dress "code" like at SB anyway.  last night,  i was perfectly comfortable in jeans at django. i'm assuming SB requires a bit more, you know, effort on my part.  comments?

Can't speak for the Striped Bass, but Carman will be just as happy if you're in your jeans or if you take them off.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

so what's the dress "code" like at SB anyway.  last night,  i was perfectly comfortable in jeans at django. i'm assuming SB requires a bit more, you know, effort on my part.  comments?

Can't speak for the Striped Bass, but Carman will be just as happy if you're in your jeans or if you take them off.

i was thinking she'd be happier if he took them off. :laugh::laugh:

course, i don't know tommy well enough yet.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

i was thinking she'd be happier if he took them off. :laugh::laugh:

course, i don't know tommy well enough yet.

how 'bout now? :unsure:

first thing i noticed was the time you posted. egulllet is set to midwest time or something?

actually tommy, i left out, i don't know carmen well enough either.

leave that one for holly.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

first thing i noticed was the time you posted.  egulllet is set to midwest time or something?

actually tommy, i left out, i don't know carmen well enough either.

leave that one for holly.

great. now i have to take off my jeans for holly too. could't you guys have just arranged a party for this or something? i'm only here for a few days you know. :angry:

Not on our first date.

As to a party, we're throwing one this afternoon.

It's called the Rittenhouse Row Festival (In Honor of Tommy) and starts today, Saturday, at 12 Noon and runs all afternoon. Walnut Street is closed from Broad to Rittenhouse Square. All the restaurants, including the Walnut Street elite, will be peddling samples at stands out front of their restaurants.

Not sure how long you're in town, but the offer still stands, if you need a tour guide or such. You just gotta promise to leave your jeans on.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Hi Tommy:

Hope you had fun while you were here :smile: . I don't think you'd take your jeans off on a first date...then again you were dressed a little nicer when I saw you, so perhaps that statement doesn't apply :laugh:

It was very nice to meet you and the venerable Mrs. Tommy. Hope you made it back to your hotel and the awaiting soft pillows well enough after Herbacidal and I poured y'all into that cab. I had a great time and I hope your trip to Reading Terminal was all you expected. How was Morimoto? Do tell about the rest of the wide swath you ate through Philly... :raz:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!