• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Take Away

elfin

It seems in movies or on TV sitcoms, whenever the actors eat Chinese carry out they always eat it out of the carton with chopsticks. After polling friends and family, no one eats out of the carton but rather use plates. It is about 50-50 for the use of chopsticks at home. What do e-gulleteers do?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Also plates and chopsticks.  Absolutely necessary when sharing with another eater.

Me, too.

Unless, of course, we're being filmed.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I don't know any take out place that uses the cartons anymore.

Unless you're buying goldfish.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

i rarely see those cartons 'cept for rice. and *some* noodle dishes at some places. my chinese food comes in tins with clear plastic lids or even plastic containers.

i use a plate and a fork. the stuff is usually oversauced, and it makes it easier to mix with a bit of rice. the plate does i mean, not the fork. but actually the fork does too. what's with chopsticks anyway?

We still get take out in cartons but my mom gets the flat styrofoam in south Jersey. It just doesn't taste the same to me out of styrofoam.

We empty the cartons into bowls and then spoon to plates to eat with forks. I never did get the hang of chopsticks. :wacko: If you eat out right of the carton you miss too much of the sauce.

KathyM

My takeout (main dish) comes in the black plastic with the clear plastic lid.

Soup in the waxed-paper like cup.

Complimentary wings in the waxed-paper like baggie.

But they still put the rice in the cool paper container with wire handles.

What does your rice come in if not the cool paper container? :huh:

On topic, I usually put the stuff in a bowl and eat it with a big spoon or some other implement that will not interfere with my shoveling. If I'm not injecting it directly into my veins, that is.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Our Chinese food place still uses cartons for most things. Really gooey things like honey garlic ribs are in round plastic containers. We plate it and use chopsticks except for my son, who at least attempts the chopsticks before giving up in frustration and asks for a fork. :wink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I love the paper containers so when I get food in those (a few of the takeaway places still use them here) I just eat straight out of the container with chopsticks.

Any other kind of container goes to a plate, unless I'm on my lunch hour, in which case I just eat straight out of whatever it is.

Jennie

My favorite take-out place still uses the paper containers. How I eat depends on the circumstances. I often use the Chinese take out to bring to local outdoor concerts on the beach. When doing this I generally eat out of the containers with chopsticks. At home if I need to reheat I usually use bowls as the wire handles on the cartons tend to do mini fireworks in the microwave oven. I still use chopsticks (Except for the hot & sour soup).

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Plates? Don't you mean bowls? :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The joy of containers is you dont have to wash them....Im a lazy critter...

containers

If I have sticks...sticks, if not, the western way.

Sidebar here.....one of the greatest joys for me is getting off work at 8AM, heading to Big Wong on Mott Street and being the only non Asian in the place. Its slow, relaxed, QUIET thank god.....and the staff know I get my chicken congee with peanuts and ginger scallion sauce. The guys behind the counter even talk to me for a while now.