• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm Alabamy Bound

Simon Majumdar

for reasons too boring to go into, I have just found out I have to make a trip to Birmingham, Alabama in the next few weeks.....

Despite a good session of googling ( illegal, I am led to believe in Alabama ) I can't seem to light upon a decent hotel for my night's stay or a place to eat away the evening

Any help much appreciated

S

Hi Simon...I grew up in Birmingham and still go back frequently for sporting events...so I will be happy to guide you...

I would suggest you go to the Highlands Bar and Grill 205-939-1400...Frank Stitt, the owner/chef was the James Beard Chef of the Southeast last year...he also has two other restaurants...Bottega (Italian) and Chez Fon Fon (French Bistro)

The Hot and Hot Fish Club

Hotels...There really aren't any "highend boutique" hotels in Birmingham...the only things along those lines are the private clubs, which have beautiful guest rooms...but, you must have a member sponsor you.

Birmingham is very "compact"...I would suggest staying in one of the newer hotels in the "Perimeter" or Summit areas...the Wynfrey is nice...but, it is connecting to the Galleria shopping mall...and about a 20 min. drive to downtown. If you want to stay downtown, there are two "acceptable" hotels...The Tutwiler and The Redmont...there is also a Radisson :wacko: in the area...

Tutwiler is nice, I stayed there a few years ago on a quick trip.

Old, very classic hotel, I'd date it to the same vintage as the du Pont in Wilmington, Seelbach's in Louisville, and the Peabody in Memphis.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Hi Simon...I grew up in Birmingham and still go back frequently for sporting events......

Huummmm... Are those anything like "sportin' events"?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

On a quick road trip through Birmy, a friend took me to a Greek seafood place that was fun. Not upscale like Highland's or Hot Hot, of course, but homey has its place, too.

I recall the place was crowded, popular, and the fish dishes were tasty. Any Birmingham hands remember the name? It was on a small side street downtown, Greek-owned, had the owner's own line of olive oil on display.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

The only tough thing about Birmingham, AL is getting there. The flight connections are dreadful.

I have been there a few times for business reasons and it was much nicer than I thought.

Hot and Hot was the place we kept going back to, although I heard good things about Highlands as well.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde