• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines of Alsace

Belmont3

We are hosting an Alsatian dinner at our home this weekend. As hosts we are responsible for Amuse, Main Course/Entree and Wine. I have the first two figured out, just needing some suggestions on the wine. As a FYI for the Amuse, I will be doing Escargot a' l'Alsacienne and for the Main, Supremes de Bass sur Choucroute.

I think it would be fun to pair a different wine from Alsace (pinot blanc, gewurztraminer, and riesling) with each course. You could do this with one producer or mix and match different producers.

I would recommend Trimbach, Leon Beyer, Weinbach, Zind-Humbrecht, among others.

Personally, I prefer Trimbach's style over all others. Let us know how it turns out.

You MUST do a cheese course -- the pairing of gewutztraminer with real Alsatian munster is one of the real classics (right up there with Sauternes and Rocquefort). Be warned, however -- real munster is VERY STINKY and will dominate your fridge in no time -- best to buy the day of.

I think choucroute is a great setup for a serious Alsace Riesling - because you're garnishing it with fish you might want to go with something younger and fresher rather than an aged bottle (which could be tough to find anyway). Many of Paul Blanck's wines are made in a somewhat delicate style that could match very well with your main dish (including a generic - non-vineyard designated - Riesling that is quite affordable). The Andlau Riesling from Kreydenweiss might also be a good choice.

Why not try an Alsatian sparkling wine with the amuse? These are moderately difficult to find, but very affordable and quite authentic given the context. I think Pierre Sparr makes one of the more available examples. It won't make you forget Champagne, but it might be fun way to start.

Another excellent Alsatian producer is Domaine Barmes-Buecher. The Pinot Gris, Rieslings and Gewurztraminers are all delicious. Good price/value ratio with these guys too. The Gewurztraminer Wintzenheim 2000 is glorious - all rose petal and lychee fruit with a deep amber color and a hint of apricot on the nose as well. Had it with butter poached lobster and parsnip puree at a dinner several months ago and I swear I can still taste it. Truly one of the best food-wine pairings I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. Barmes also makes a lovely Cremant d'Alsace that we serve by the glass as a sparkler. Very refreshing and a lovely aperitif.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We've been finding the Schlumberger pinot blanc at between $7.50 and 8.00 and while not a great wine, it's been a terrific buy. I saw it recommended in a French magazine for about eleven euros or something like that. I've thought that like other Alsatian producers they made a range of wines, but I haven't seen the better ones around.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Why don't you finish with a Tarte aux Pommes a l'Alsacienne?

Here's another one we have truly enjoyed; almost a textbook Gewurtz: Domaines Shlumberger, Les Princes Abbes, 1998.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

Not only should you add more courses but you need to add al these contributors to your guest list. How about a Kreydenweiss Kastelberg Grand Cru Reisling. Not quite so sweet complex a little drier a beautifully balanced wine. 1999 or 1998 would work, older if you can.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Not only should you add more courses but you need to add al these contributors to your guest list. How about a Kreydenweiss Kastelberg Grand Cru Reisling. Not quite so sweet complex a little drier a beautifully balanced wine. 1999 or 1998 would work, older if you can.

Fine by me, if you guys are in Boise this weekend, bring wine and your in.

I had an '88 Zind Humbrecht Pinot blanc the other week.. it was still drinking fantastically; I served it with a chicken consomme served with chive crepe. They went well together.

Edit:Spelt blanc currect.

Edited by Niall (log)

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa