• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for $100 bottle of wine

Sandra Levine

All so taken by the French wines, aren't we? For $100 (or less) I would recommend some fine Italians like: Sassicaia; Ornellaia; Tignanello; Solaia; Flaccinello; and Brunello di Montalcino. Many of these are Bordeaux-style blends that rival and even surpass their French counterparts. I would love to receive a gift of any of these!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I just bought a Haut Brion '94 for a little over $100 (I saw the same bottle selling on a few website for over $200, but those may be complete rip-offs). Parker and the guy that sold it tells me that it's pretty good right now, although '94 is not a top year. (I'm drinking it tonight.) I saw the '92 for about $80, and another friend said it was suprisingly good for a '92 Bordeaux. I chose the HB because I'd never had one before, but I wont' be suprised if I'm paying about $20 (or more) for name.

Edited by Stone (log)

All so taken by the French wines, aren't we? For $100 (or less) I would recommend some fine Italians like: Sassicaia; Ornellaia; Tignanello; Solaia; Flaccinello; and Brunello di Montalcino. Many of these are Bordeaux-style blends that rival and even surpass their French counterparts. I would love to receive a gift of any of these!

How about a bottle of the current release 1999 Isole e Olena "Cepparello"? That should set you back about sixty bucks or perhaps even less. Ever since the 1997 Cepparello was declared THIRD BEST WINE OF THE DECADE by Robert Parker (no - I won't start that silly discussion again, so there! :raz:) the Isole wines have gone up in value and "collectability". I've always been fond of their chiantis, which are a bargain for the quality. Just a thought, but David makes quite a valid point about the Italian wines. And besides, it's fashionable to hate the French again :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Castel del Remei of Spain makes wine called 1780 which is well under $100 but ummmmmmmmm simply divino.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais