• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Breakfast Cereal

Varmint

I had to get into the office early this morning, so I scarfed down a quick bowl of raisin bran. As I was eating, I started to wonder whether any breakfast cereals could be used in cooking high-end meals. Now I'm not talking about corn flake crusted fried chicken or rice krispie treats. I'm wondering, how Grant Achatz would used puffed rice or shredded wheat?? Could Steve Klc make something interesting with Cap'n Crunch or Apple Jacks? There's got to be tons of possibilities out there (perhaps none of them worthwhile), but if chefs can do something creative with the concept of caramel corn, why not with Honey Nut Cheerios??

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

That's a good and intriguing concept, but I would rather have them use natural products, and not ones that have preservatives such as some of the commercial products mentioned.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

Fried ice cream.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I regularly grind a half cup of Kashi and add it to my yeast mixture prior to forming bread dough. That's in lieu of whole wheat flour. Adds a nice crunch and specks of different colors to the bread. It would probably make a nice flatbread as a base for an amuse, too.

Different ingredients, relatively low processing of the grains compared to cereals.

I've considered adding the same mix to cooked parsnips, mashed potatoes, etc, but haven't done so yet.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Michel Richard has been incorporating breakfast cereals in both his savory and sweet dishes. He has topped mushroom soup with rice crispies for crunch. In his "Reese's Baby Croquembouche" (Art Culinaire #54) he uses Cocoa puffs cereal mixed with melted milk chocolate to form the croquembouche.

Michel Richard has been incorporating breakfast cereals in both his savory and sweet dishes. He has topped mushroom soup with rice crispies for crunch. In his "Reese's Baby Croquembouche" (Art Culinaire #54) he uses Cocoa puffs cereal mixed with melted milk chocolate to form the croquembouche.

Now this is the type of thinking and creativity that I was looking for! As nasty as breakfast cereal is, it packs a big flavor punch. Plus, the textures are varied but relatively unique.

Chefg? Steve Klc? Anyone else?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My mom invented a recipe for a healthy snack similar to a Rice Krispies treat. Instead of Rice Krispies, she uses Fiber One or All-Bran cereal, usually with a bit of Grape-Nuts mixed in. She also adds diced dried fruit, wheat germ, flax seed and/or oat bran, sometimes toasted nuts and also natural peanut, almond or cashew butter. She mourns that she can't find anything to replace the marshmallow to make it completely healthy. :smile: She calls this creation "Fiber Balls" or "Chewy Kablooies" or even "Colon Bombs." :laugh: They're actually very tasty and have tons of fiber.