• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanks, chef!

Grant, on behalf of all of us at eGullet I want to thank you for a thought-provoking Q&A. It's one I will return to and reflect on many times.

Several comments from the Q&A struck me as especially memorable:

It really starts with the commitment to forward thinking. Once you take that step your world changes without you really knowing. A lot of it comes from analyzing ingredients themselves. What balances, what contrasts, what shares the same flavor profiles, what yields texture, how can we present it differently, and so on. Techniques, and equipment inspire as well.  Being aware of your surroundings and processing them in a creative way.

We are crossing the line of "a meal" or "dinner" and moving into the realm of entertainment: in the forms of theater, education, discussion, visible art. The overall experience becomes so fulfilling on so many different levels it could become the ultimate form of recreation.

Cuisine is taking large steps forward at a rapid pace; as the food itself becomes more complex so will the experience they provide when linked together to form a meal. That is why this food is so exciting is because it actually defies comparison. That is why it is so controversial, people can no longer compare apples to apples. Each experience is their first.

All artists want their work to be understood. If I am painting, writing, or cooking the desire to connect to people will always be there. What I have come to learn is that connection comes on all different levels.

Grant, we hope that you will return to eGullet often. You are seeking to create something new and different in your restaurant. And we are trying to create something new in the world of food media. The Trio/eGullet pairing seems a good one -- like root beer flavours and beef short ribs. We look forward to further interaction with you.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

I have opened a new thread in the Heartland forum so that we can continue the discussion of Trio. Chef Grant Achatz has indicated that he will be visiting eGullet but that he will be unlikely to post often.

Again, many thanks to Grant for a great G&A.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."