• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Chinese San Francisco

carpet bagger

For a trip latter in March early April. What the recommended Chinese restaurants any cuisene? Especially but not limited to wine friendly places. Flavors and tastes are much more important than being "in" or the decor.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

I would recommend Yank Sing or Harbor Village in downtown SF for dim sums - come before the mad rush at 11 am or so. Look for places near where the carts come out.

Be patient with the ordering, as carts will be coming in full force around lunch time at noon and the good stuff is probably around the corner.

I like R & G Lounge at 631 Kearny, which is a Cantonese restaurant. I've only had dinner there, so I don't know what they do at lunchtime. The upstairs dining room is nicer, though I believe they have the same menu upstairs and dowstairs.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was there it was near the Embarcadeiro. Their website is www.yanksing.com, and is pretty descriptive. Address and menu there too.

If you go, I hope it's an excellent experience. It's not cheap by the way, but totally worth it.

Brandy Ho's for hunan near the transamerica pyramid. Not expensive, has an exciting open kitchen, food is very spicy and very good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There's a Yank Sing in the Rincon Center and another (the nicer of the two I think) on Stevenson Alley (half block off market betwixt 1st and 2nd). They do dim sum (although I think you can get entrees). Basic varieties of steamed and fried dumplings; breaded fried crab claws, sea bass stuff, good chinese broccoli, sauteed tofu. Good stuff, but the bill runs up faster than . . . things that climb trees very fast. I don't think either location does dinner, and the Stevenson Alley location is not open for lunch on weekends. (There was a third location which lost its lease a while back.)

Ton Kiang out in the Avenues (Geary & 22) is supposed to have great dim sum, but I've never been there.

Here's the deal on my favorite, Jasmine Tea House. I've never been to the actual restaurant, so I have no idea what the ambience is. It's probably not what you're looking for in terms of an authentic SF Chinese location. But the food is amazing.

Also great is Shen Hua in Berkely (College Ave?).

I've never been to Brandy Ho's, but it gets mixed reviews from friends.

Edited by Stone (log)

Just emailed my Chinese friend that lives in SFO. She's been in the States about three years. She and another Chinese friend were with our group when we went last to R&G. They said that R&G (which I love) is the "best in Chinatown" but that her very favorite in the bay area was another place.

So, I asked her exactly to which restaurant she was referring:

This is what she said:

"Koi Palace. It is in south SFO. I can get telephone number and address for you if you want.

"It is Cantonese restaurant also like R&G. I really think that you should visit it when you get a chance. It is kinda pricey, but I think that it is worth it. My family love that place. :) [she means her family that visits her from China - she has no relatives that live in the States.]

"My favorite dish there... Hmm.... mainly go there for dim sum. I have only been there for few times for dinner......cannot really remember the names but I can describe them. Their fresh water shrimp imported from HK. They are small, but taste very very sweet/fresh.... Their steam fish is good. One of the Tofu dish. The steam tofu with shrimp in it.

"Their dim sum is very very good. I will say it is the best dim sum that I have in bay area. My Chinese friends agree with me too. :) They open at 10:00am. It is worth of trying...

"Everything is good there. ;)"

So - I'd suggest that you give it a try. Goodness knows I'm going to on MY next trip to bay area.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Stone I forgot to respond to your post which sounds great. Yank Sing sounds great. So does Jasmine Tea House. Iwill try them both and report back. I have been to Shen Hua and enjoyed it . Thanks!

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Jaymes thank you, sounds like the kind of info I am looking for. Please tell me what is R&G.

R&G Lounge is right in Chinatown. Very very good. Very authentic. When I go to SFO, I stay in a little Chinese hotel in Chinatown. I happened onto R&G quite a few years back - found it by canvassing the neighborhood.

The only thing is, they are not really set up for single Occidental diners, I can tell you. Several times, I've been unable to find a server that spoke English. And, have given up on ever getting a single order of soup. It comes in one size: tureen. But still, go there everytime I'm in town.

If you notice above, Malik recommended it as well. And there are several mentions in the "Top Chinese Restaurants" thread.

The last time we went we ordered some of the "usual" dishes that we can get pretty-much everywhere. We decided to do that in order to judge R&G by dishes with which we are very familiar.

So, we got a tureen of Hot & Sour Soup (and we had a big table that time, so I didn't have to eat the whole thing by myself), steamed dumplings, green beans, mushu pork, something really hot and spicy that I can't remember the name of, Honey Walnut Prawns (huge hit), and some sort of chicken - "house special chicken" or "chicken with special house sauce."

Also a clay pot of some kind.

Everything was really wonderful. The soup was excellent, although not as good as I've ever had. But most of the dishes were as good as I've ever had, and some were better.

I'm no expert, but I have lived in Hong Kong and traveled fairly extensively throughout Asia. And two of my companions that evening are people I'd call pretty knowledgeable - one the son of a Chinese master chef - and another the Chinese woman I mentioned above - who has only been in the U.S. a short time.

I doubt you'll be disappointed if you try it.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

More info on Koi Palace:

Koi Palace

365 Gellert Blvd., Daily city, CA 94015

Phone: 650-992-9000

More on R&G Lounge.  The beef was surprisingly good.

Thanks for that link, Stone. I'd missed your post. Great report!

It's always interesting to read about a restaurant that you really like -- and see if others feel the same way about it that you do, don't you think?

Thanks for taking the time.

More info on Koi Palace:

Koi Palace

365 Gellert Blvd., Daily city, CA 94015

Phone: 650-992-9000

I went to Koi Palace once, probably 3 or 4 years ago for a dim sum lunch. It was with some Chinese co-workers who felt it was one of the best places for dim sum around. I liked it, but it didn't stand out in my mind as better than some of the other dim sum places I had been to (such as Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae).

Lately, my favorite dim sum restaurant is Fook Yuen in Millbrae, it's been really good every time I've been. I've never had dinner there though. A bit of a drive if you're coming from the city, it's very close to the airport.

Fook Yuen Seafood Restaurant

195 El Camino Real, Millbrae CA

650-692-8600

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Heading out to Cali at the end of the month. My wife and I will spend a few days in San Francisco then take the drive down the coast to LA.

I'm wondering if there are any delicious local spots in Chinatown that we should check out for lunch or dinner.

Of course other restaurant suggestions are also appreciated.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I've said on a number of occasions that I like Brandy Ho's Hunan (217 N Columbus near the Transamerica Pyramid), and I usually hit it up to get my spicy food fix each trip, but I've been told by locals that D&G is considered to be the most hardcore Cantonese in the area.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

jai yun at 923 pacific avenue (415) 981-7438

<br>

<br>

they offer only a prix-fixe menu and (i think) two seatings per night. small hole-in-the-wall but worth it. if you love chinese food, this is a must.

<br>

<br>

http://jaiyun.menuscan.com/menu.html

<br>

<br>

another favorite (i live a few blocks from chinatown) is house of nanking at 919 kearney street (415) 421-1429. surly staff, crowded, usually lines out the door - but fast and very good, cheap food.

"The smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls, ready to remind us...."

Marcel Proust

I like R&G Lounge. Never disappointed. Place is always packed with Chinese -- a very good sign.

Are R&G and D&G two separate places?

Do I need to make a reservation?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I've never heard of D&G, but R&G Lounge does take reservations and depending upon which night you go, and what time, and how many of you there are, I'd definitely recommend them.

Oh. And while you're down in Chinatown, go to Golden Gate Bakery. Do not be reticent there or you'll NEVER get waited on.

Favorite things to get are the tarts -- egg custard especially. And coconut. Get a dozen. Eat at least a few of them right away, while they're still warm. They frequently run out fairly early in the day so try to get there no later than early afternoon if you can.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Are R&G and D&G two separate places?

Do I need to make a reservation?

I think it's R&G actually. I must have been confused,