• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Style

Hi Chefg Thanks for your time.

What are your thoughts about restaurants like TRIO only being accepted in places like Chicago,California,and New York. It seems you don't see this style of food anywhere else. Are people more open minded in these Food cities?I live in Mi and you just don't see them around here.

Thanks again ChefdontL

Chefdontl:

I am from MI so I sypathize with you. The shear number of people in these cities make for more people that are into food and wine. Also more open minded consumers, which is very important when you are doing this concept. Look at some of the great restaurants in this country though, TFL is in a town of 3000, that almost doesn't count though as Napa has surpassed DisneyLand as a tourist destination, but what about the Herb Farm, The Inn at Little Washington, and some others that I can't think of right now. In Europe it is almost more common for the elite to be in the middle of nowhere. Trio is not in Chicago, we are a 25 minute cab ride from the city. Doesn't sound like much, we undoubtably would be much busier downtown. I would say go where the people are. I read recently that Tetsuya moved his place into the heart of Sydney from the burbs. You don't want to compromise your vision because you have to chase numbers. Field of dreams is a fantasy.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea