• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shad Roe

lizziee

What time is dinner? I'll be right over. Just kidding. I'm not sure what New England style means but with the shad roe and the bacon I would serve a full bodied chardonnay. Or even an oaky chardonnay. Enjoy dinner. :biggrin:

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

carpet bagger,

If you are in California, Santa Monica Seafood now has shad roe. They are beautiful.

I posted the recipe in another forum, but here it is:

Shad Roe

8 slices lean bacon

1 stick unsalted butter

4 small pairs of shad roe

1/2 cup all-purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper

2 Tablespoons medium dry Sherry

8 slices homemade-type white bread toasted, crusts removed and kept warm

1 bunch watercress, trimmed

1 lemon, quartered for garnish

In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until it is crisp, transfer it with a slotted spatula to paper towels to drain and keep it warm.

Pour off all but 1 Tablespoon of the fat from the pan, add the butter and melt it over moderate heat.

Dredge the shad roe in the flour, shaking off the excess.

In the skillet, turn the shad to coat it with the butter and cook it covered, turning it after 4 minutes for a total of 8 minutes. The shad will sputter as it cooks.

Stir in the sherry, carefully and simmer the mixture UNCOVERED for 2 minutes.

Halve 4 of the toasts diagonally. Arrange 2 toast triangles on opposite sides of each whole toast. Spoon 1 Tablespoon of pan juices over each portion of toast. Top each whole slice with 1 pair of shad, spoon remaining sauce over shad.

Garnish with bacon, watercress and lemon.

Dang, is it Spring already?

Doesn't look like it with the snow on the ground in NYC.

lizziee, where are your shad from?

Personally, the best match I ever had was old demisec Huet Vouvray. Or perhaps I should say middle aged.

Alternatively, Grand Cru Chablis with some age, old white Burgundy, German riesling spaetlese......

With southern girl's help as we didn't have any cremant and SFJoe's suggestions were too late, we had A. Jacquart et Fils, rose champagne which worked very well.

The shad was wonderful and all I know about the shad is that they were from Santa Monica Seafoods as my husband did the shopping.

I would have said an old French Viognier, though Rose champansky (I like Laurent Perrier) was likely best :biggrin:

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I would have said an old French Viognier,

lissome, how old can you take your french viognier? i wouldn't drink dry condrieu more than three vintages old, arguments with regards to the ageability of grillet nonwithstanding (which i refuse to participate in for socio-political reasons :raz: ). or do you just like the angular way it gets as it loses its fruit??

Must admit that I was only thinking of Grillet, and this can be mighty old indeed. I was thinking of the way it beads almost. Might be too damn parallel with the roe tho, no? :smile:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais