• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef (and cabbage?)

richw

I used the tip found in this Japanese video to help the cut boiled potatoes keep their shape and it worked like a charm.

Tim, it looks like a cube of butter is added after the liquid is introduced. Is this accurate?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

:biggrin: My first post on eGullet.....I have devoured pages and pages of text, and can't believe I can finally add to a topic!

I simmered my corned beef brisket for quite a few hours, (5 perhaps) and changed the water twice after skimming the top "scum" off. I used peppercorn's, pickling spices, fresh garlic, cloves, bay leaf, and a small onion.

After the beef brisket was tender, I strained the brisket "juice?!" till clear in a coffee filter, cooked the potatoes, and added cabbage the last 5/6 mins in the now clear brisket broth.

After letting the brisket "rest" for about 5/10 minutes, sliced thin, added potatoes, and the tender, sweet cabbage.

No recipe, just watched and learned from my mother for years and years.

Would like to try the pressure cooker though, sounds like a great idea!

Happy corned beef everyone!

Welcome to the eGS, APLF, and thanks for the additional input. Moms' methods are usually tried and true; no recipes needed. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I use the crockpot. And a bottle of beer. And lots of Pennzys "corned beef spice". I cook it on low for 10 hours. It is never dry.

:smile:

Crock pot, bottle of Harp's, water, corned beef on the bottom, sliced fennel root on top. Cooked all day. Not even remotely dry. Colcannon on the side. YES!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I used the tip found in this Japanese video to help the cut boiled potatoes keep their shape and it worked like a charm.

Tim, it looks like a cube of butter is added after the liquid is introduced. Is this accurate?

=R=

Ronnie, that's what I assumed it was and that's what I used. I added about a tablespoon to the boiling water before I added the cut potatoes. I'd be interested to hear if this works for anyone else.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

This Friday a friend is going to be dropping off 2 pounds of corned beef that a local meat market makes. This meat market only does this a couple of times a year and this is rumored to be some of the best corned beef out there.

Heres my question:

Does anybody have any suggestions for this besides the corned beef hash and sliced thinly for sandwiches? Im looking to try something new!

If the quality of this particularly fine corned beef is that good, I hope that however you plan to use it, you won't be doing anything which won't highlight that quality ... mixing it with other ingredients will only make the taste secondary, if you follow my thinking here .. enjoy it and savor each mouthful! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hi,

The usual way for serving corned beef here is to have it hot, sliced not too thinly with a white sauce (perhaps with parsley etc.), mashed potato, carrots, beans etc.

For lunch it would also be served hot with the white sauce and mashed potato but with a shredded lettuce/tomato etc salad.

Nothing too fancy, but then farmers are more interested in eating food than looking at it. :smile:

Edited by Cadbury (log)

Two big slices of fresh Jewish rye, slathered with Russian dressing. The cb sliced paper thin and stacked at least 3” high. Top with cabbage slaw with a little more dressing. God I’m starving!

There's nothing like a delicious Corned Beef and Cabbage, if done correctly. You cook the beef first, braise it slowly, then add the vegetables at the end, so they are just cooked through and all the flavors are fresh. The recipe I use is from the New Basics cookbook. You simmer the beef with onions, carrots and celery for about 3 hours, then remove the beef, strain the broth, discard the veggies and add cabbage, new potatoes, leeks, carrots and salt and pepper to the broth and cook for about 30 min 'til tender. Then you serve with the beef and a yummy horseradish cream sauce.

This is outrageously good when done this way. Most recipes just have you boil everything all together with the end result a soggy bland mess. This recipe keeps the flavors vibrant and the meat is meltingly tender. I had it at a friend's house on St. Patty's day and it was so amazing, that I went to the butcher the next day, got a 2 pound piece for myself, found the recipe, and made my own batch, and was in corned beef bliss for the next few days. It's that good.

:) Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

When I was a kid, my mum would sometimes make Corned Beef and Tomato pie.

Family lore has it that, when my grandmother was a young bride, she read a newspaper or magazine article about Bing Crosby. The article contained a recipe that his mother had made for him as a child; whatever that recipe actually was, in my family it became corned beef and tomato pie.

Essentially, you make a roux with butter and flour and then add a tin of whole tomatoes (undrained). Break up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon and cook until it's thickened a bit. Then you stir in a tin of corned beef (which you've cubed, of course). The whole lot goes in a pie shell, is topped with more pastry, and is baked in the oven until done.

I've been able to find similar recipes on some Australian websites but they use a baking powder dough instead of pie shells and make the little pies in muffin tins.

Presumably, you could substitute "real" corned beef for the tinned variety.

• 5 months later...

Now that it's finally getting cold down here, I'm starting to get hungry for some good corned beef. I've been experimenting with different kinds of store-bought, pre-corned briskets but haven't settled on a favorite yet. Does anybody here have any opinions as to who makes the best corned beef briskets available in grocery stores? Thanks.

I think you'll find that most brands are pretty regional, but it's really easy to make it yourself, if you give yourself a few days for the brisket to brine. And, if you decide to go with a store-bought one (or make your own), try and find the first cut, not the flat.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Now that it's finally getting cold down here, I'm starting to get hungry for some good corned beef.  I've been experimenting with different kinds of store-bought, pre-corned briskets but haven't settled on a favorite yet.  Does anybody here have any opinions as to who makes the best corned beef briskets available in grocery stores?  Thanks.

Why is the first cut better than the flat cut?

Now that it's finally getting cold down here, I'm starting to get hungry for some good corned beef.  I've been experimenting with different kinds of store-bought, pre-corned briskets but haven't settled on a favorite yet.  Does anybody here have any opinions as to who makes the best corned beef briskets available in grocery stores?  Thanks.

Why is the first cut better than the flat cut?

More fat, more well marbled, so the meat will be more succulent!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The best I have had and the only factory corned beef I will eat is from Vienna Beef http://www.viennabeef.com/ . They supply a lot of the corned beef used in Deli's in the Mid West. Be aware that they sell two types, one corned and completely cooked and one only corned that must be put into the steam table for 6-8 hours as many Deli's like to do, In any event it's a great corned beef. -Dick

Anyone have any good recipes for making your own corned beef?

I ordered a beef brisket from a small farmer here in NorCal and it's just sitting in my freezer, waiting for me to get inspired. Well, it's either going to be corned beef or it will be Texas-style beef brisket (I have an incredible recipe from a friend in Texas).

I prefer corned beef over Texas beef brisket though so I'd much rather do that with this particular piece of meat.

I corn about 4 whole briskets each year. Lately I have been using Waygu but any good brisket graded Choice or above will do.(I have purchased them graded Choice and the briskets from Prime animals are going somewhere although Brisket is not generally graded I am told)

You will need Saltpeter to keep the color from getting gray(half a teaspoon). Use kosher salt(no iodine) and large two gallon plastic zip bags.

The spicing I use is lots of fresh garlic, black pepper corns, a few cloves, cardamom pods to taste, coriander seed, fenugreek, bay leaves, ceylon cinnaman stick, star anise, mustard seed and whatever else suits my fancy at the time. Leave corn for at least two weeks in you refrigerator keeping the zip bag in another flat container because they will leak during that time. -Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

You should read "The Great Pastrami/Smoked Meat Experiment, Getting to the bottom of things" discussion for tips. Pastrami starts out as corned beef. Chef Fowke's pastrami blog might help get you on your way.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

Cabbage for corned beef? Best methods?

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"