• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hiroki

Cool! Someone else mentioned on another thread this place was in the works. Now that's it's open I'll try to stop by this afternoon. I'll report back if I make it.

By the way, I suspect this is the same person that is currently supplying pastries for the Blue Willow Tea House on Pike. If so, then I really look forward to trying his expanded offerings.

Nope, it's not open yet, but you can always drop in just down the street at the Mighty-O for an organic doughnut if you're in the 'hood. Find out which ones are freshest--the quality seems to drop off, the older they get. It's getting so groovy to live in Tangletown!

The Weekly says Hiroki is open; Nancy Leson says it will open next week. I think nightscotsman is right about Hiroki supplying Blue Willow; the green tea tiramisu is a tip-off. We noticed the last time we visited Blue Willow (which was recently re-named ChaZen) that the desserts were better and more interesting.

Haven't tasted Mighty-O, and judging from Matthew's experience, I'm not missing much.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

for an organic doughnut

Thems fighting words, especially if you tell it like it is - vegan donuts! (Not that I care, since all of 'em are wasted on me.)

Okay, it's true: I omitted vegan because it sounds like a horrible thing to do to a doughnut. And Mamster is absolutely right that the Mighty-O specimens at Whole Foods are awful. But I tell ya, folks, get 'em fresh and you could almost imagine that they're real and they're bad for you.

I promise I'll report the moment I notice that Hiroki is open. Can't wait!

I posted about this bakery back in February on the Welcome and Farewell thread.

I've since learned the chef is a grad of the SAI, NOT SCA.

NSM, please give the full report when you get in there. I'm going to be through that way tomorrow night. I might try and swing by, although just to look.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Has anyone been to Hiroki yet?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Alas, they're still not open, but the new Elysian pub (called Tangletown) opened last Thursday. We went on Sunday night--it was already packed with people! The menu features standard pub food (burgers, BLTs, fish and chips) with some interesting sandwiches (pork ribs) and some downright surprising appetizers (squid in black bean sauce). There's also a kids' menu and of course, lots and lots of beer. We had some service mix-ups but everyone seemed friendly and eager to work it out. Oh, and they're going to have weekend brunch, too. I predict lines out the door for a few months. Maybe forever.

Hiroki finally has some display cases visible when I went by yesterday, but nothing in them yet and it still looks fairly under construction. I'm hoping for later this week or early next...

-sb

Okay, pastry pals, there's a handwritten sign on the door of Hiroki that says "Open Wednesday-Sunday, 9am-6pm." They were still painting in there when I went by this morning, but the help wanted signs were down. See you there tomorrow morning at 9:01!

Okay, I have some Hiroki goodies here. It's a cute little shop with some tables and an espresso machine. The dessert selection is pretty small at this point. A couple of types of croissants, strawberry shortcake, green tea tiramisu, Basque custard cake, cream puffs. I got a plain croissant, the tiramisu, and the Basque cake.

I haven't tried the cake yet, but I'm not terribly impressed with the other stuff. The croissant has good flavor but the consistence of a buttery biscuit. The tiramisu has a blue-cheese flavor to it that isn't bad, exactly, but unexpected and doesn't really fit. The guy at the counter said this is their second day--they were open last Saturday. So they've got plenty of time to improve. spitzbuebe, have you made it over there?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Hi! I have to agree with mamster--the croissant is too biscuity. It's better than the QFC, but doesn't hold a candle to Besalu's crispy, flaky puff pastry. The chocolate in the pain au chocolat was melty and nice, but the pastry just didn't do it for me. I also picked up some cake slices for dessert tonight--they certainly look right, so I'm interested to see how they taste. Am ruing not having picked up a cream puff. Perhaps that's tomorrow morning's pleasure.

On a positive note, I loved the interior (sky-blue ceiling, matcha-green walls, plummy purple floor) and the hand-blown glass shades on the lights. I'll be back, but am sad about it not being perfect from day one! I suppose that's a tall order.

Didn't try the coffee, either. If they do that right, that'll make them a destination right away. Zoka's too bitter and slow and cranky (the coffee or the baristas? both.) and the Mighty-O's coffee people mean well, but haven't had much training, it appears, and so the lattes are foam-free.

I'll report on cake tomorrow!

-sb

(Warning: flagrant self-promotion)

Re: Zoka, I have no opinion on their coffee, but I do know that my band, Fluffy Kittens, will be playing there on Saturday, May 3, at 8pm. No cover. If you've seen us before, we have lots of great new songs. If you haven't seen us before, what's your problem?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Okay, one more addition to this thread: I went back today to sample the coffee and a cream puff. At the last minute, I made a wild switch to the eclair (the wily call of the chocolate glaze). I am thrilled to report that both were exemplary. The coffee was Caffe Vita, smooth and not a trace of bitterness. The counter guy's foam skills were more than adequate--I had foam to the last sip.

The eclair, like the cream puff, is filled with both pastry cream AND whipped cream. They're not too big--maybe 3 or 4 bites, which is nice. I hate monster-sized cream puffs (or eclairs) that just become big, gloppy messes when you try to eat them. The pastry itself was crisp but not crunchy. It had a (good) hint of egginess but wasn't overpowering in the least. The pastry cream was smooth, not too sweet, with an overtone of hazelnut. The whipped cream was barely sweetened, I think, and the proportion of whipped cream to pastry cream was perfect (slightly more pastry cream than whipped). Oh, and the chocolate glaze? Perfect, too. It was dark chocolate, but not quite bittersweet, and it flaked like a chocolate coating, didn't squish like the chocolate glaze on a doughnut.

So my verdict for now is skip the croissants, but try anything with pastry cream! And order a coffee on the side.

Over and out.

--sb

I went in Saturday morning (9:45) and was alittle disappointed by the

selection - there was only gateau basque and scones in the case.

However I wasn't upset with the goods - the gateau basque went

wonderfully with my coffee, not overly sweet, nice almond flavor.

I think it would be even better if it wasn't chilled, the custard center

would have better consistency. I went back latter that day and picked up

a few slices to serve after tapas - a great finish along with a glass of

moscato.

I went in there later in the day on Saturday. I was planning to try an eclair or a cream puff. While they both looked very tasty, I was called to something that I have forgotten the name of. It had a spice cake bottom, then pastry cream, topped with chestnut paste. I had it with a cup of tea in the afternoon and it was perfect. Not too sweet not too heavy. My husband got a scone, with orange I think. I'm not a scone fan (except Fishers with raspberry jam) so I didn't try it but he said it was very good.

I asked if he was going to be doing breads in the future (I was hoping for japanese white bread) but he said not until he gets things running smoothly and is able to hire help. He said he discontinued making croissants until he can get a machine to help him. It was too much to do by hand himself.

I hope the selection increases. Otherwise I don't see how it will be able to remain open.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

• 1 year later...
I went in there later in the day on Saturday. I was planning to try an eclair or a cream puff. While they both looked very tasty, I was called to something that I have forgotten the name of. It had a spice cake bottom, then pastry cream, topped with chestnut paste. I had it with a cup of tea in the afternoon and it was perfect. Not too sweet not too heavy. My husband got a scone, with orange I think. I'm not a scone fan (except Fishers with raspberry jam) so I didn't try it but he said it was very good.

I asked if he was going to be doing breads in the future (I was hoping for japanese white bread) but he said not until he gets things running smoothly and is able to hire help. He said he discontinued making croissants until he can get a machine to help him. It was too much to do by hand himself.

I hope the selection increases. Otherwise I don't see how it will be able to remain open.

Hello, fellow NW food enthusiasts! I've just joined your fraternity and am thrilled to be part of this organization. An update on Hiroki: I discovered this place shorly after it opened because I had a slice of his NY cheesecake at Clara's in Wallingford. It was to die for. From then on, I skipped the pretense of eating a meal before dessert and now very often stop by Hiroki to check out his latest desserts. His best by far dessert is the green tea tiramisu. I love that stuff! Not too sweet, very light. I still haven't figured out the entire recipe, but I did coax him into telling me marsala and mascarpone were part of it. I'm wondering if he uses green tea extract rather than tea leaves to get that tea flavor? His souffle cake is also very tasty. Haven't tried any of his tarts yet, but they do look good.

The neighborhood appears to support him and at times the place (small as it is) sometimes gets crowded. Sitting in the back of the room with a latte and a slice of green tea tiramisu is a real treat. Seeing Pasco (a beautiful collie) tied up outside on a nice day is also a treat. Hiroki is a very nice guy. Every time I go in, he always asks me if I've been back to Clara's (truthfully, there are so many other places to try out in Wallingford that we haven't had time to go back there...we have been to Rocking Wok twice in the last month, though...love those thousand layer pancakes!) :biggrin: I like patronizing places where you can talk to the owner and he remembers you from the last visit.

Didn't like the Luau Polynesian Grill the couple of times we ate there; it was pretty pricey (something like $13 for a pupu platter that didn't have much on it). I know it changed owners about a year ago and hopefully the quality of the food has improved since then. I still have to try out Kisaku (I am on the quest for the perfect nigiri in a restaurant outside of the ID).

All this food talk is making me hungry. Time to go root inside the fridge.

Miulang

His best by far dessert is the green tea tiramisu. I love that stuff! Not too sweet, very light. I still haven't figured out the entire recipe, but I did coax him into telling me marsala and mascarpone were part of it. I'm wondering if he uses green tea extract rather than tea leaves to get that tea flavor?

I think most green tea desserts are made with matcha green tea powder:

http://japanesefood.about.com/cs/drinksteas/a/greentea.htm