• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Salad Dressings

awbrig

On 11/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Green Goddess is so easy to make, ingredients so easy to source, unlike the elusive pickled ramp.    Just chuck it all in the blender and pour.

Back mid-Century, this used to be my cocktail party veg dip.  

Edited because NYT swooped in with the paywall again.

HELLO!!!

My recipe from the little food blog I did is in the archives and it is dead easy to make.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 11/19/2019 at 12:32 PM, heidih said:

Ya think? We are so entitled. The concept is even dried - herby (hi Herb) creamy,  I often can not get to a store but I've embraced the dred guys and you can make it work :) Life challenges but we adapt. 

Tarragon is finicky in the best of herb gardens.    I somehow miraculously have an abundance, well, abundance in tarragon terms, growing in mine at the moment.    It will die back in the winter and who knows what it will decide to do in the spring.    I depend on dried tarragon for cooking, Bearnaise sauce, chicken, etc.    Works just fine.     And fresh tarragon is no sure find in the produce aisle, even in California..

eGullet member #80.

48 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

HELLO!!!

My recipe from the little food blog I did is in the archives and it is dead easy to make.

I have been looking and looking for that darned recipe, without remembering whose food blog it was in! With that clue, I found the recipe for your Green Goddess Dressing, tucked away in the RecipeGullet archives. I'm also enjoying a pleasant walk down memory lane, reviewing your foodblog. Which brings me to the next, painful thought: back when you did that foodblog, I stlll had tarragon in my garden.

32 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Tarragon is finicky in the best of herb gardens.    I somehow miraculously have an abundance, well, abundance in tarragon terms, growing in mine at the moment.    It will die back in the winter and who knows what it will decide to do in the spring.    I depend on dried tarragon for cooking, Bearnaise sauce, chicken, etc.    Works just fine.     And fresh tarragon is no sure find in the produce aisle, even in California..

I had a very happy tarragon plant that I'd gotten for 5 bucks from a friend at the local farmer's market. She'd commented that she was selling it cheaply because nobody in our area seemed to know what it was good for. What good fortune for me! I took it home, planted it and watched it flourish for years...until my best friend's son came to stay with us one summer. He promised not to mow too closely around our deck pillars, where mint, chives and tarragon grew. He mowed down the tarragon. When I took him to task for it, he said "but I didn't know they were all different". O.o This was 9 years ago, and he's grown into a delightful young man, but that memory still pains me. I've never gotten tarragon to grow around there since.

Okay, back to David Chang's ranch dressing...

well, actually, I haven't tried that one but it would be interesting to do a taste test comparing my fave, from the Buttermilk and Bourbon Cookbook. I'll post about that in another topic.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted links (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I have been looking and looking for that darned recipe, without remembering whose food blog it was in! With that clue, I found the recipe for your Green Goddess Dressing, tucked away in the RecipeGullet archives. I'm also enjoying a pleasant walk down memory lane, reviewing your foodblog. Which brings me to the next, painful thought: back when you did that foodblog, I stlll had tarragon in my garden.

The recipe is certainly there but it seems to have lost its measurement units.

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

The recipe is certainly there but it seems to have lost its measurement units.

is it possible that with upgrades measurements have been lost?

will find my original PRINT formula and edit it in the next few days.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

9 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

is it possible that with upgrades measurements have been lost?

will find my original PRINT formula and edit it in the next few days.

I think a lot of the recipes have suffered over the years through various upgrades so probably one of them impacted your recipe. It would still be great if you edited it for those who might go looking for it. One day perhaps, when all the moons are aligned, even I might give it a try. I’ve always been quite intrigued by the idea and the name of this salad dressing. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think a lot of the recipes have suffered over the years through various upgrades so probably one of them impacted your recipe. It would still be great if you edited it for those who might go looking for it. One day perhaps, when all the moons are aligned, even I might give it a try. I’ve always been quite intrigued by the idea and the name of this salad dressing. 

Yes, I've seen some other recipes that suffered some unfortunate "upgrades" as well. In some cases, I had saved my own printout and could spot the issues but sometimes they're otherwise undetectable. 

It seems like this one might have had some issues from the beginning, judging from @Toliver's query on @suzilightning's blog:

• Thanks 1

For those who enjoy a backstory, and I know many of you do, I found. this.

I am only sharing it not claiming any proof that it is factual. 

It may disappear behind a pay wall. If so I apologize. I was able to access it initially but I do not have a subscription. 

Edited by Anna N
To add the caution about a pay wall (log)
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much make all our salad dressings myself.    Mostly many different vinaigrettes or ranch or bleu cheese.  I refuse to make that abomination called "French" dressing. 

I sometimes use a really killer balsamic, (syrup consistency) and drizzle it over arugula and shaved reggiano, maybe some fresh strawberries, that is a really refreshing salad to go with a big steak.

But I found a way to "cheat" and make a balsamic syrup, by boiling it down, adding sugar until it is syrup consistency, make a dressing using coffee, vanilla and the balsamic syrup with some neutral oil.   Again, great with arugula, walnuts, golden raisins, berries, and confit'd lemon rind.  

• Like 2