• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In search of Tasso

fifi

Here in Houston, I have been to several "Cajun" suppliers and have yet to find tasso that tastes like the "real thing". Whatever that is. All I know is that dishes that I have had with tasso in New Orleans have a really unique flavor that I can't put my finger on. What I have gotten here tastes like bacon or ham and that just isn't it. I have seen some recipes that have everything in the rub including cinnamon. All I know is I haven't found it yet. Do I have to order it from Paul P to get the "real thing"? Or do I have to wait until I get my house built, get my smoker out of storage and make it myself? HELP!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

What brands have you tried. I Googled "cajun tasso" and got a bunch of mail-order sources.

For an adventure, take a road trip on I-10 to Lafayette, to the multitude of cajun meat markets.

I have tried a few of the mail order places. (Well, OK, three.) I used to get stuff in Lafayette at a butcher shop that I can't remember the name of but never tried their tasso. So far, none have had that elusive strange flavor. Sounds like a good excuse for a... ROAD TRIP!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I am going there now. Thanks for the opinion.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I've had luck with Prudhomme's site..but also the super touristy tateofNeworleans site has the same links..tasso never tastes quite the sam eoutside of NOLA, IMHO.