• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mediterraneo

So i walked by the Med today, and saw that they have paper up in the windows... I heard that they would be closing down to renovate, but not to shut down operations... I guess that's what's going on. anyone got any inside info? when they might be re-opening? what the menu might look like when it reopens... etc?

joey

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I hear they're renovating. They've been planning this for quite a while. And Baila closed as well. There are all kinds of rumours flying about that group of restos right now -- nothing confirmed.

Dungeness, welcome to eGullet :smile:

so baila closed? for real? it just opened a year ago (i remember because it opened on my birthday last year... happy birthday to me!)

did baila close for good, or did it just shut down to take a break like the med? i ate at baila last march, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but that was when zach and michel were there. i had a great coconut lemongrass soup, which was unfortuneately taken off the menu within weeks of opening. seems to me the menu changed on a near weekly basis or something. seemed every time i walked by, there was a new menu up...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Mediterraneo is closed for major renovations to the hall.

A top designer from France is in charge of the new look.

A good guestimation would be 45 days of work.

They are also looking for a new Chef & brigade.

The food is supposed to stay at the same level.

I think it was time for that place to renovate. The decor felt tired last time I was there. I wonder who they'll find as chef? No easy these days.

They really "made" Claude Pelletier. A lot of good Montreal chefs have passed through that kitchen.

You know, I really love it when you people take such comments so bloody seriously. :angry: Sorry, of course the owners didn't make Claude Pelletier, but I don't think anyone could deny that Claude Pelletier made his name at Mediterraneo. If you don't agree then please tell me why. Jeez. :hmmm:

i heard this morning jean francois vachon was the new chef........ex club des pins ex globe,ex caprice,ex intercontinental.............,to be honest i was expecting someone more exciting,for a full blown renovation that is,not that he wont do a good job ,but i thought the owners of med would be more aggressive .. thats all,claude, zack and michel are hard acts to follow...

he was at intercontinental for a few months as sous or whatever,then at xmas or shortly therafter they slacked him off,is it there that they do a smoked salmon wig wam,or tee pee,or something,he should be on cook like a chef......

Cafe Melies? Wha?

I think Vachon brought Le Club des Pins to a whole new level. I ate very well there and awarded it three stars under Vachon. I wish him well at Mediterraneo. Let's just hope they increase the size of the kitchen with this renovation. I never understood how any chef could handle such high numbers with such a small kitchen.

Melies is the local watering hole for St.Laurent kitchen folk, you need a warm welcome there.

I never thought of the kitchen at Med as being small, but where there's a will there's a way, especially on Grand-prix weekend...

Michel