• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RNM

southern girl

Has anyone dined here, or heard anything about it? I have been invited to go for dinner by relatives of the chef next time I am in the city and would like a heads up...I read a review which gave it 2 1/2 stars (can't remember if it was the Chronicle or the Examiner though), but I would rather hear from the eGullet folks in the Bay area!

I dined at RNM on December 1, 2002. It was definitely good food, but I can't say that it was memorable enough that I would suggest it or recommend it to anyone. You'll get a good meal, but was it worth the tab (about $57/per)? I dunno - my dinner at Limon was better for the pocket book, and better in my tummy. Limon was a memorable meal of small plates. RNM just didn't leave much of an impression (and I'm someone who can remember menus from years ago if the place was excellent). It struck me as a restaurant that would be a great "neighborhood" haunt/stand by if you're making good money.

Mr. Pibb + Red Vine = Crazy Delicious

I didn't pay much attention to the bill at rnm. I was busy flirting with the waitress. I agree that Limon serves some great food. Excellent meat dishes. Great Sangria. (But very different place from rnm?)

Edited by Stone (log)

In the latest issue of Departures magazine (AMEX), Arthur Lubow reports on the best of the new cafes and restaurants in San Francisco.

High-end Comfort

Chez Spencer

The Fifth Floor (new chef - Laurent Gras)

Fleur de Lys (re-vamped menu)

Big and Small

RNM

Andalu

Piperade

Julia

New Asian

Slanted Door (new location)

Ozumo

Limon (actually Peruvian)

Down to Earth

Tartine Bakery

Pizzetta 211

Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market

His comments re RNM talk about a tapas-style format where you order any number of small or large plates which can come together one after the other. He characterizes the restaurant as "regional ingredients cooked simply in a casual yet stylish setting." The chef is Justine Miner. The dishes he mentions are a "small plate of grilled hearts of romaine with Pettigrew Farms pears, Point Reyes blue and toasted hazelnuts and Syrah-braised short ribs on lemon risotto.

Southern girl, the only restaurants I have been to on the above list are Slanted Door which I found not as good as in their old location and Fleur de Lys which is definitely deserving of its 4 star rating.

The fact that Andalu keeps popping up on "best of" lists drives me nuts.  The place is filled with giggly 20 year olds for a reason.

Stone,

As I have not been to Andalu why does it drive you nuts?

Also what do you think of Lubow's list?

Andalu serves decent tapas, but nothing particularly interesting or particularly good. They get raves over their "ahi tuna tacos." These are diced tuna in a mild wasabi mayo served on a peking-duck like pancake. There is nothing special to it. The restaurant is average, average average.

The only other places on the list I've been to are Slanted Door and Limon. I think SD is good (much better experience my second time around), but does not nearly live up to its reputation as one of the best places in town. I've really enjoyed both trips to Limon.

I will hit 5th Floor when I get over my illness and can taste again. Everyone says it's the best in town. (I've not been to Chez Spencer, but I don't think it's in the same class 5th Floor or Fleur D'Lys. It's supposed to be great, but it's a bistro, not a fine-dining experience.)

Edited by Stone (log)

I read the Departures article, and thought that they chose some pretty good places for an article written (I assume) by a non local writer. I haven't been to rnm yet, but I have gone to a few of the other places mentioned in the article.

Fleur de Lys: I first went there 4 years ago and I loved it. I went back last year soon after then reopened, and while I had a very good meal, I was not overly impressed. I think in the same category, Gary Danko is a far superior choice, and is actually slightly less expensive.

Andalu: Unlike a lot of people, I like Andalu. I've always had good meals there, and am very fond of the Ahi Tuna Tacos as well as the Gremolata Fries. In three or four visits, I've never been disappointed, and it's one of the better small plates restaurant I've been to (a notch below Chez Nous and A Cote, and a notch above Isa and Bacar).

Piperade: Only ate there once, and was quite happy with the food. Definitely on my list of restaurants to go back to. The wine list is quite interesting, I had a very nice tempranillo based Basque wine.

Slanted Door: I've only been there once, back when they were still in the Mission. Very good food, but I didn't think it was worth the reservation hassle. I'd like to try the Embarcadero location sometime.

Ozumo: Really good modern Japanese restaurant, though a bit expensive. They have really good small plates, but I was not quite as impressed with the sushi.

Limon: Wonderful little modern Peruvian restaurant. One of the best ceviche I've had, and the menu is very reasonably priced. I definitely plan to go back there very soon.

Tartine Bakery: A bit expensive for a bakery, but well worth it. Wonderful pastries and breakfast items (I like to go there for brunch on weekends). Their hot chocolate is the best I've had in San Francisco, it's made from Scharffen Berger chocolate, and has a rich chocolate flavor without being overly sweet or milky.