• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dolores, Soriano, Uruguay

So, I spent some time in Dolores, anyone know of the place? Fiesta de la Primavera town...

anyway, while i was there, i went at least weekely to this great place which served milanese. As i remember it, it was a veal chop breaded and fried up, served basically as is, with a garnish of a lemon slice. can anyone tell me more about it? I just consulted escoffiers cookbook, and it basically says the same thing, but includes a "milanese garnish" of cooked macaroni, with salt, pepeer, nutmeg, butter, grated gruyère and parmasean, tomato puré, ham, tongue, mushrooms, truffles, and madeira. it's been over 5 years, so my memory is kind of rusty, but i know for a fact it didnt include this milanese garnish. but i do remember that it was great. washed down with a liter of pilsen or nortena, and all is good.

joey

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

ive been to colonia del sacramento, too. great little place, it reminded me of quebec city, actually, what with the walls on the city limits. my friend lives in san pedro, about 20 km outside of colonia del sacramento. and montevideo... what a great city!!! i love it!!! durazno y corazon, baby!!!!

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Milanesas, the great South American staple... you can make them with veal chop, as you had, but also with veal escalopes, steaks and chicken breasts - pound them thinly, then coat with flour, seasoned egg, and breadcrumbs - fry in oil or lard, make sure they're swimming freely in the pan - if you want to bake them, add a bit of oil to the egg...

You can eat them plain with lemon - or you can have them "a caballo", horseback, with fried eggs on top, or you can fry them, then cover with and cheese and bake til bubbly... you can also have them cold in a sandwich or just cut up in squares, this used to be in my school lunch box...

I usually bread a batch at a time and freeze them individually, then defrost and fry/bake as needed...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

hurray!!! thanks sandra, ill try it out soon...

but then again, i found that when i drank my maté at home, it was totally not the same thing. take it out of the geographic/cultural context, and it just doesn't cut the mustard. drinking maté is something to be done with a group of friends, and when i tried it at home, by myself, it just didn't do the trick... know what i mean?

i found this great place in montreal which sells conaprole dulce de leche, too. that, on the other hand, is still just as good as it was when i was down south.

Ok - dulce de leche would be just as good on the moon! I can find it here in London sometimes, sometimes Gandara, never Conaprole, lucky you...my mom brings me when she comes...

Try serving the milanesas also with tomato sauce and melted cheese on top, like a cutlet parmigiana - very good...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

YAY!!! I found a place on parc avenue which serves milanesa! casa gaucho, it is called. i'll go try it out, and report back sometime in the near future... im so pleased. :biggrin: