• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creativity,age & chops...

Thanks, Chef, for your time.

I read your post about age in the kitchen. And also about thinking about ideas,etc.

I realize that you have cooked for a long time and paid your dues but the fact that you are accomplishing this at your age, which is quite young to me, is pretty amazing. It's like a musician having a 5x platinum record in a way.

Since the age of your cooks is pretty young also, are they coming to you from places like TFL, Trotters, Clio, etc. or in that sphere?

Are you getting people from Europe?

el Bulli in reverse, in a way?

And do you ever get people who have little experience but who are really excited about "the movement", who impress you enough to take on?

Thanks again!

2317/5000

tan319:

The team at Trio is composed of some "blue chip" resume holders and some that are more "green". That matters very little, with a few exceptions, to their stature in the kitchen. I believe cooks in restaurants are like personal relationships. Some cooks fit in some environments and others don't. I have witnessed cooks coming from the most highly regarded restaurants in the country not succeed in different kitchen environments. The sous chef came with me from the TFL, we have a few from CT and a few that have spent time in Europe. Overall the group is very diverse in their culinary background and the food styles they enjoy the most. This is a huge benefit to a restaurant that pulls inspiration from all over the globe. We are small in comparison to most restaurants that do this type of food, 9 total with a spattering of externs. We spend a great deal of time together so you come to understand the quirks of each. It makes for a great environment to work in.

We have yet to draw interest from Europe, understandably. How many of you knew of Trio and the food we do before the Q&A? I hope to set up relations with other chefs that support forward thinking cuisine so we can all benefit and help expose it.

We have taken people people that have barely cooked, in stage situations due to their eagerness.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

How many of you knew of Trio and the food we do before the Q&A?

I personally was very aware of Trio before this Q&A. Give yourself more credit, Chef. I think you're turning more heads than even you realize.

Give yourself more credit, Chef.  I think you're turning more heads than even you realize.

I think there's very little corelation between talent and the publicity the talent deserves. So I wouldn't think a lack of turned heads would be a discredit to the talent. And let's give eGullet a little credit for providing a forum for a chef to turn heads his way. I would give Grant Achatz great credit however for the intelligent and forthright way in which he's used eGullet to engage with our membership and I'd like to thank him for the time and effort he's taken to answer questions. I hope this engagement is beneficial to him in more ways than just the publicity. I know it's been a valuable session for eGullet and for its members. Thanks chefg.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux:

Some people have criticized me for devoting as much time as I have to the egullet site. Publicity is not the motovating factor, believe me. The conversations that have transpired have been stimulating to me in many ways. Obviously the more I discuss Trio's food and philosophy the more I understand it myself. Issues brought forth require me to take a position, or explain ours if we already have one. Also the more I converse with past or present guests of the restaurant the better I understand the diners needs and expectations, therefore making the experinence more enjoyable. In these conversations new dishes, techniques, philosophies, and menu formating may be realized, making the time I spend here more valuable than anyone can imagine.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea