• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tall Food/Gotham Bar and Grill

From a recent visit, things are very definitely not what they used to be at The Gotham

It always used to be one of my favourite places for a dependable if unspectacular meal and the service was always spot on

My last visit found the room/the food and the service all on the worng side of tired

Still damn tall though

Of its moment, which has now passed

S

From a recent visit, things are very definitely not what they used to be at The Gotham

It always used to be one of my favourite places for a dependable if unspectacular meal and the service was always spot on

My last visit found the room/the food and the service all on the worng side of tired

Still damn tall though

Of its moment, which has now passed

S

You're the man, appreesh....

I haven't been to Gotham in about 4 years, but the last time I was there I was surprised by how good it was. The service was especially fine. It would be sad if Gotham's standards have slipped.

BTW, whatever happened to the pastry chef from Symphony Cafe (early 90s) -- he was truly the master of "tall food." I once had an "espresso souffle" there. The dish contained several elements, the last one -- a bit of cake off to one side -- turned out to be the souffle in question.

As a former employee of Gotham (pastry, pasta station, veg and garde manger). I felt is was the defining step in my culinary career( this was 12 years ago). Alfred Portale is a great chef, I dont know how much hands on he is now. His Exec Sous Chef Hacinto is a very good chef is his own right. The team I worked with went on to be "big" stars...Gary Robbins, Michael Shenk, Marina Waters....

I have eaten there a few times since my departure and have never been dissappointed. Service and food always excellent. He has scaled down the architecture and begun to concentrate more on flavor.

I feel that you would have an enjoyable experience eating at Gotham.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Thanks Bri. I wanted to give Portale a shot. I don't mind the erector set thing if there's some flavor there. It's a shame that some chefs hold garnishing in higher regard than creating a well-conceived melding of flavor and hommage. There's a special place for chefs who use lettuce and wonton papers to finish plates--it's called the early nineties. I'm gonna give it shot Bri. Thanks....

My last visit was six months ago. I have always been a great fan both of the food and the place itself. The service had, until then, been excellent, particularly the sommelier

On my last visit, the room was looking very weary, peeling paint and tatty fittings. The service was slow and bordering on the boorish, it appeared as if extra tables had been added as I felt cramped in a way I had never before

Above all, the food which had always been great, if not astounding, was by comparison crude and uninspiring.

I had been to the Gotham about 10 times before that and it had never disappointed. I could put it down to an off night, but I got the feeling there was more to it than that. More of a case of a place coming to its natural end.

The Grammercy has now replaced it as my dependable NY dinner, but I would be delighted if someone could tell me that it is still operating at a high level.

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

I read a while ago in NY mag (sorry I couldn't find the link but it was soon after Ducasse opened) that Portale is one of the few 'name' chefs in New YOrk who is typically in the kitchen supervising the service and toying with new dishes on an almost daily basis. I would have thought that this would lead to better quality controll and better food.

The few times I've made it down to GbaG, I have not been disappointed. I think this may be a restaurant where one has to order correctly--the pasta special, seafood salad and rack of lamb have never disappointed me but please keep in mind the small sample size.