• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OpenTable.com

Awbrig:

As recently as this month we have looked into opentable and other online booking systems. At this point we do not feel it would be benefical to Trio or our potential diners at this time. Why do you ask? Is internet booking something that you feel benefits the consumer? If so how?

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Why do you ask? Is internet booking something that you feel benefits the consumer? If so how?

I used to think that only low to mid tier restaurants only used opentable but have been surprised to see high destinations appear such as Tru, Everest and mK in Chicago. Ambria, Charlie Trotters and of course Trio, arent represented...

We use it when we can - the more we use it the more points we get toward gift certificates. I find it very convenient and I dont find it reflects negatively on a restaurant at all. I also get email reminders for my dinner and I can make special recommendations online instead of having to convey that over the phone...

Anyway, I know Trio is a special restaurant and wouldnt mind picking up the phone to make a reservation - which I plan to do soon...

My wife and I regularly use open.table in NYC and NJ, and have never been disappointed. Reservations are in the book and honored.

The system is used in many NY restaurants, including Lespinasse, Picholine, Vong, Veritas, Craft, fresh, Blue Hill, and Tabla. Special requests are usually honored. One feature is the ability to print out directions, identify nearby parking / validation, which frees up staff time otherwise spent with these tasks.

I know of at least one restaurant which routinely blocks out a few tables for friends of the house, so I'm sure there are customizing opportunities. I assume there's management information stored on the system ("big tipper, likes Barolo, don't sit him near the bar, etc) which could be of help to a restaurant's repeat trade management.

Don't have any idea of what it costs to the house, but it works for me

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo