• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diners who do not drink alcohol

Does Trio's creative approach to cuisine also manifest itself in accommodating diners who choose not to imbibe alcohol (i.e. through creative juice presentations and pairings perhaps)?

Do you feel that those who choose an alcohol-free lifestyle in this way cannot have as full a dining experience as those who enjoy wine?

201:

Trio does make use of creative liquids in it's menus but not to replace alcohol by way of a tasting paired with the food.

I think beverages that pair well with the food enhance the dinning experience by simply adding more to the experience itself. I doubt people would dislike the cuisine without the addition of alcohol. There are many ingredients that people cannot consume for many different reasons, allergies, religon, personal beliefs. We deal with shellfish , nut, diabetic, ,and many other restrictions on a nightly basis. Although it is an interesting concept, the replacement of alcohol with other paired beverages, we do not currently do that.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea