• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Menus?

I'm not a vegetarian, but I was curious as to whether you are prepared at any given time to prepare a vegetarian menu or if this must be requested in advance (if available at all)? Obviously, I'd assume advance warning would be far better and in this case I was wondering what size menus you might be able to offer, my guess being that a Tour de Force would be impossible, but you never know. Finally, what level of innovation and new techniques would you say such a menu might have as compared to the regular menu, especially considering that you obviously would not have worked on these dishes to the same extent as others? Thanks for your time and great answers so far.

Chazzy:

Trio is prepared to accomadate vegetarian menus in the 4 and 8 course menu formats nightly. We have produced TDF menus under these restrictions but advanced notice is required.

Vegetarian cooking is a bit more difficult due to the reliance on certain animal based products we use to produce certain effects. Depending on the displine of the guest, ingredients like eggs, dairy, gelatin, honey may be restrictive, making certain things nearly impossible to create.

As far as innovation using vegetables we look to people like Roxanne Klein for inspiration and techniqcal advances. Obviously we have created vegetarian dishes that represent our style, or have made the necessary adjustments to animal based dishes, but we have not commited our energies to a vegetarian cuisine like she has. Therefore the repetoire is much smaller in that category.

As we break away from protein driven dishes we will be forced to explore vegetables more thoroughly and utilize their potential. We have already begun to shift our train of thought to include more vegetable driven items, and looking into how they effect a meal in its entirety. Things like satiation, and nutrition should be considered. Not to mention all the possibilities that have been overlooked in the vegetable world due to the consumers reverance for meat.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Not to mention all the possibilities that have been overlooked in the vegetable world due to the consumers reverance for meat.

That's the real secret to exciting non meat food. After all, there are so many more vegetables and fruits then there are species of animal that we eat.

beachfan

Not to mention all the possibilities that have been overlooked in the vegetable world due to the consumers reverance for meat.

That's the real secret to exciting non meat food. After all, there are so many more vegetables and fruits then there are species of animal that we eat.

beachfan