• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visited Nobu for the first time o Saturday, horrible dining room - way too cramped. Without going into too much detail about the food, Sashimi of Beef and yellow fin Tuna were fantastic, prawn tempura OK, Black Cod was very good and pefectly cooked, another prawn dish was good (excellent according to my GF who is more of a Prawn fan than me).This is the first time we have eaten Japanese so we may be a little misguided.

Unfortunately service was appaling. Arrived on the dot for a 21:30 table, ordered cocktails at the bar and 10 minutes later were seated and given a menu, so far so good. 25 minutes later still no sign of the waiter, also noticed that dishes on the tables for 2 and 4 were very slow coming out. Took the decision to leave if we finished our cocktails before the waiter arrived, he duly did as we finished the last sip. Then asked for some guidance as we hadn't eaten at Nobu or Japanese before. Received a very hurried explanation of Sushi and Sashimi dishes and he then pointed us to wards the mains (we already knew they were mains as it was written at the top of the page) Waiter returns 5 minutes later to take our order. A couple of Sashimi dishes, "2 soups please", "The soup is normally served at the end of the meal", "Why is it at the beginning of the menu after the starters then?" Ordered a small portion of Wagyu beef as well as tempura and 2 mains.

30 - 40 minutes later the beef Sashimi arrives, no sign of the Tuna, 30 minutes after that along comes the Tempura, at which point the waiter discvers that we haven't had the Tuna Sashimi, he disappears and 30 seconds later comes back with the Tuna as well. Before we have finished these two dishes the cod arrives, a waitress quite literally tried to take one of the starters away while Rachel had her chopsticks in the bowl!

After we finish the Cod, the Waiter returns to advise that the Wagyu beef is unavailable today (over an hour after our order was taken), no alternative suggestion, just "sorry". Prawns then arrived and duly eaten. Massive delays in service at the beginning of the meal and then everything arriving at once towards the end. About halfway through we realised that we hadn't ordered enough despite asking for guidance. Once we had finished everything, the waiter returned and asked if we need any more food as the kitchen was closing! Whilst the food was good, the sevice had left a sour taste so despite not being particularly full, decided against extra food.

Knocked the 15% service charge of the bill, waiter said he understood but needed authorisation form a manager who duly arrived with a new bill minus the service charge and an apology but not a single question as to why! On the whole very poor, I noticed this happening to a lot of the smaller tables while the larger tables were being looked after very well. We hadn't seena manager at all dutring our meal and not once were we asked how our food was. :angry:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

When Nobu first opened in NY, it was a revelation -- new flavors, new textures, and a new way of eating in general. Over time, it became cliched and the staff and kitchen became sloppy as they rested on their three stars and a month long waiting list. What was once so great and new, became old and tired very quickly.

From your report, it seems that Nobu has exported its worst elements to London. A pity.

Oh dear, that's generated a coloured marker on my "Places I want to go to" List :sad:

Knocked the 15% service charge of the bill, waiter said he understood but needed authorisation from a manager ...

You're my hero, Matthew. I have only ever once really intended not to leave a tip, but I was pre-empted by the waiter bringing the bill and saying "We haven't charged you for one meal, and we of course don't expect you to leave a tip" :wacko: But on other occasions when I shouldn't have left a tip, or at least should have left less than 15%, I've always chickened out.

Needed authorisation my arse...

it is not compulsory to pay a service charge in britain, many would like you to believe it is.

he is trying to shift the focus so that you feel he has done you a favour, the manager has no right not to waive said charge.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

We had the same experience, and we went for lunch! 3 hours later... I actually had to literally grab a waiter's arm as he was going by to get him to take a plate away, as there was no room at the table... My friend's lychee martini was only 3/4 full, the tempura was a bit greasy and the bill took almost 45 minutes - also took off the tip...

HOWEVER... having said all of this, Ubon in Canary Wharf is excellent, very good service, much better food and a much nicer, more comfortable dining room with better view, go try it... it's worth it.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

We had the same experience, and we went for lunch! 3 hours later... I actually had to literally grab a waiter's arm as he was going by to get him to take a plate away, as there was no room at the table... My friend's lychee martini was only 3/4 full, the tempura was a bit greasy and the bill took almost 45 minutes - also took off the tip...

HOWEVER... having said all of this, Ubon in Canary Wharf is excellent, very good service, much better food and a much nicer, more comfortable dining room with better view, go try it... it's worth it.

I have eaten maybe 10 times at Nobu in London: 8 times at the counter, where I have been quickly served and you can watch the chefs etc, and have had a great time. And twice at a table and both times the service was terrible.

So go to the counter: you don't have to book, and it is better. And order omakaze. But it is a counter. My last time was on Sunday night and the food was excellent.

After less than two years here in Paris, they went bankrupt...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The one time I went to Nobu in London I had a very similar experience and we were a party of six. One woman had her entire meal brought to her at once (four courses) while the rest of us were not served for another 20-30 minutes. I havent been back since.

Thomas Secor

• 11 months later...

Last night I had the great pleasure of a meal here. We had the Omakase (£90 per person) menu, with the addition of the Black Cod (which a friend insisted on).

I was surprised to read of the service issues above - from the time we entered, when the room was practically empty, to when we left when it was full, service was smooth, attentive, and friendly.

The room is much larger than I thought it would be - but it did start to feel a little cramped as it filled up.

The food was characterised by really big, fun flavours, interesting combinations, and technically very serious execution. The quality of the raw fish was the best I've had in London, and of the cooked - the black cod was immaculately done.

But I don't think I can give an accurate review - so many of these elements were new to me - so I'll probably limit myself to a description. I might have to sell the car, and go back a few times before I know what I'm talking about.

Balex - have you been recently?

1) KONBU MARINATED SEABASS, CAVIAR, ASPARAGUS WITH PONZU DRESSING

This was served in a hollowed-out lemon - unless that was a ponzu (which is part of the citrus family, is it not?). The sea bass was immensely delicate. Between these flavours, a small pile of caviar presented itself. Very nice.

2) SEARED WAGYU WITH ERINGI MUSHROOMS INANIWA SOBA

I'd never had Wagyu beef before, and had no idea what to expect. It was superb, but for some reason I was entirely surprised that it tasted exactly like steak (f---in' idiot, me) - I was expecting a new life form, possibly with ganglia, to wrap itself around my tastebuds with some as yet unknown tantric position, and start humming... But I've found this is often the case with my expectations. It just doesn't pay to have any.

3) HAMACHI SASHIMI, PAPER THIN SALAD WITH JALAPENO DRESSING

When I lived in LA, I used to go to this Peruvian cafe - cheap and cheerful - called Mario's. To start, you'd share a big plate of ceviche, and then a huge mountain of fried steak and onions, and chips, and tomatoes. And over all of this, you'd squirt this incredible Peruvian green gloop. This stuff was so good, it was almost worth selling off members of your family to slave traders so you could go back for seconds. Some might consider this a high price to pay for green gloop, but I would suggest you've never eaten it. So, imagine my surprise when the hamachi sashimi came drizzled in this same green gloop of my dreams. I immediately considered calling my family to make sure they were safe - when I realised I'd sold them off years ago. Nobu wasn't gettin' nothin from me tonight. I could enjoy my green gloop in peace.

It was good, too. The surprising thing is: you'd think it would completely dominate the sashimi - and you'd be right. But it tastes so good, who cares?

4) BLACK COD

We asked for this in addition to the menu (I don't know what the supplement was), and it's a beautiful dish. The cod was marinated, and roasted to perfection. The outside appeared almost lacquered. I've never tasted such a large piece of fish cooked so perfectly.

5) PAN SEARED BRILL, GOBO AND CARROT SAUCE

If they had brought us this before the previous two dishes, this would have been great - but as it was, it was a little workman-like. It simply couldn't compete with the larger previous flavours.

6) DUCK 3 WAYS

- HARUMAKI WITH APPLE BALSAMIC

- SEARED FOIE GRAS WITH UMESHU JELLY

- CONFIT WITH SANCHO TERIYAKI

This was a nice presentation. The foie gras and umeshu jelly (think sweet citrus) went very well together. Similar texture. The confit was wrapped in filo (sp?) pastry, and fried.

7) SUSHI - sea bass, toro (I think), salmon, and 2 pieces of a 'roll', consisting of a white fish, spicy mayonaise, asparagus.

Exceptional sushi to finish off the meal. The ability to place three such different fish together, and have them match up, I always think is amazing.

SOUP: CLEAR SOUP WITH SALMON AND LOBSTER DUMPLING

DESSERT: CHOCOLATE SOUP WITH ALMOND GRANITE

SWEET POTATO & CUMIN PUREE

CHOCOLATE GANACHE

GREEN TEA TUILE

This meal was certainly expensive - but it was so much fun in the mouth, both the palate and the imagination, I don't resent for a second that my incredibly generous friend picked up the tab. If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't change a thing. My apologies for lack of appropriate knowledge. I will endevor to improve.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I think it's - essentially - a dressing made of puréed jalepenos, rice wine vinegar, and oil.

Maybe the original Peruvian version has garlic and lime juice - a cousin of the cuban mojo (moyo?). Either way, worth the admission fee.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP