• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Food Personalities in the US

Suvir Saran

Where are they?

What made them as we know them?

What are their strengths in your view?

What recipes or dishes of theirs are your favorites?

Who are the top players in the Indian food scene in the US?

Again, who are these people??????

To me Madhur Jaffrey, Julie Sahnie etc are the people that come to mind...

But I am sure you all will have many other names.

Please share...

The AWESOME CHef Thomas. In 2002, Thomas was named one of "America's Best New Chefs" by Food & Wine magazine.

I have had his cooking...he makes the food taste amazing. His meats melt in your mouth. the desserts are divine. I am not a food critic .. but I think you get the picture

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Padma Lakshmi (you did say "personalities").

I had never heard of her until I saw her India episode of "My Country, My Kitchen" or "Planet Food" (can't remember). I particularly remember the guy who cooked a giant biryani in a pit. He sealed the vessel with dough to trap in the steam. That was very cool.

She has a relaxed way about her, and you could tell she was having a great time (and not in a Rachel Ray "That RAWKS!" kind of way). That made her show enjoyable to watch. Plus, she's hot.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

yes, she did. in a car accident or something sudden and violent like that.

unfortunate.

don't know very much about her besides media reviews and leafing through her cookbook at borders. it seemed like she was doing an excellent job of blending french-indian cuisine (!)

which reminds me, i must rush off to another thread where i have some conversations to continue and explaining to do with an interpid eGulleteer

:)

don't i steve?

To me yes[quoteyes, she did. in a car accident or something sudden and violent like that.

unfortunate.

don't know very much about her besides media reviews and leafing through her cookbook at borders. it seemed like she was doing an excellent job of blending french-indian cuisine (!)

]

Raji died from cancer.

Madhur Jaffrey, Julie Sahani, Sanjeev Kapoor are the past celebs.

At present, I can think about one, that is Suvir Saran and he is everywhere.

Raji, yes the graet chef in her last days did work and train few good hands and I think they are around us and should be the next celebs and talented chefs around.

1. Hemanth Mathur 2. Peter Beck.

Congratulations to Suvir, so far he is topping the list.

P2

yes, she did. in a car accident or something sudden and violent like that.

unfortunate.

which reminds me, i must rush off to another thread where i have some conversations to continue and explaining to do with an interpid eGulleteer

:)

don't i steve?

Raji died a young and sudden death.

But it is my understanding that it was not violent.

It was shocking, sad and very disturbing.

I had written a 8-10 page story in Food Arts Magazine about Tamarind and Raji, I never heard back from her after the story. I had found that very strange. I just thought she was busy... forgot all about it.

A couple of months after I got a call from Raji. She was calling to speak with me and give me the news. She had 6 months to live. She wanted to thank me, share the news with me...she had cancer, was told she would live no more than this time frame. She wanted to make the most of it.. She was most sad that she would leave her loving husband Dr. Reiss behind. A man she had married not too long ago... But loved more than she had anyone.. It was a beautiful conversation we had... It was amazing in that it was inspirited with what can only be words of one that is intimately aware of their imminent mortality. She was different that day...... .and she was more erudite and articulate than ever before. She was also more interested in knowing about my take on Indian cooking.. and sharing memories of her past in India. She had hardly ever really cooked Indian food... but now, she wondered what she could do in 6 months.. I urged her to do all that she loved.. and not to worry about adding more to her list...

That was the last I heard from her. I got 2 emails.

Almost 6 months later (maybe 2-3 days less) I got a call from Michael Batterberry telling me Raji had passsed away. We both spoke at length. We each were shocked at the very precise timeline that she lived upto.

But I am told, those 6 months were as Raji had planned and wanted. And I cannot imagine Raji doing anything sad or violent. So, I assume she had a great time.. even as she struggled with a disease like cancer. That was Raji.. always full of spunk and spirit.

I hope she is well wherever she continues to dwell. And I find some solace in knowing she will inspire many to be bold and do what they love.

Yes she is the model who was dating Salman Rushdie.  Not any more I am told.

I have seen her show once...

Yup! It was big news in India last month while I was there - That is how I knew of her existence :wink:

anil

So, Suvir - have you ever cooked or been a panelist on a TV show on Indian cooking? Padma was enjoyable to watch when she did her cooking show - she prepared very simple food, mostly Indian, some Western, and her approach was quick and geared toward a person on the go. She did not compile vast arrays of spices added in layers as many complex Indian recipes do. I'd say she cooked as an upwardly mobile single Indian woman in her 30s probably cooks in India. It made for pleasant viewing.

for me Padma was the first Indian celebrity chef i came to like.

prasad - I saw her first when she took Martha Stewart on a tour through an Indian neighborhood in New York, and then again on the food network on My Country, My Kitchen. She is very mellow, but at the same time very knowledgable and passionate about her work it seems. Very relaxing to watch, if you get a chance to catch these programs.

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

Where are they?

All in America as far as I know. I'm disadvantaged here as I have little access to American media broadcasting.

What made them as we know them?

That's got to be eGullet then.

What are their strengths in your view?

An grand willingness to share and assist in ways that we probably have no right to expect. The level of expertise is pretty stunning, too.

What recipes or dishes of theirs are your favorites?

All of them that I have tried. Some so good I'm placing them on my menu.

Who are the top players in the Indian food scene in the US?

Easy: it's got to be Suvir, Monica & IndiaGirl :smile:

A special big up respect to his Royal Majesty Simon Majumdar even if he is as English as a Morris Dancing fertility ritual :biggrin: