• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking for others

As i cook more and more, i realize that the food i'm making is the result of a personnal evolution. Since some of your food is considered to be daring, what percentage of the people you serve really understand what you are making(since not everybody who eats at Trio works in the food business)?

guru:

At times I have struggled with this question. My philosophy has changed over the last year, let me try to explain.

All artists want their work to be understood, if I am painting, writting, or cooking the desire to connect to people will always be there. What I have come to learn is connection comes on all different levels. Like I said before the more educated you are about food the more you will probably enjoy it. My job, and that of the waitstaff, is to create an experience that is enjoyable for most everyone. Some people will eat at Trio and leave appauled. We can't help the close minded, or grumpy. What we can do is customize each meal to suit the diner. A trained server can read a table, if they sense a diner needs more information or less, they will make that adjustment. Alot of the food we serve actually comes with some instruction. This is gently conveyed to the guest so they recieve the most out their meal. This step is one that makes or breaks our food. Some of the creations need to be consumed in a certain order, or at certain speeds, without this guidance the dish will be lost, and so will the guest.

I can't make people like the style of cuisine we serve at Trio. I can make them enjoy an experience that is new and exciting by producing food that tastes good, touches on a food memory from their past or shows them the cuisine of the future.

We had a diner celebrate her 80 th birthday with not so long ago, I watched her face light up in a smile and follow with a giggle when she slurped the bubble tea. That is where it's at.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

We had a diner celebrate her 80 th birthday with not so long ago, I watched her face light up in a smile and follow with a giggle when she slurped the bubble tea. That is where it's at.

That is absolutely priceless.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites