• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are we headed?

Chef Grant,

I have never dined at Trio, but am aware of the menu and the work involved with putting it together. Being a student myelf, and swayed by the wave of the trends I too try to make things or atleast conceive things that are complicated, even though they may only take up an eighth of the plate.

My question to you is, do you feel that in simplifying things we seem to be complicating them to an even greater degree, or is that the price one has to pay to take cuisine to that 'next' level?

chefc:

Certainly there can be complexity in simplicity. that is one tool a chef can use. I don't know if cuisine is moving to a simpler state overall. In fact I would say the opposite. With the advancement in techniques and new found flavor combinations cuisine is growing more complex. I find the post by Micheal Laiskonis especially interesting because now we tap into the possibilities of changing the progression of multi course meals, making the experinence even more complex.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

I appreciate your reply, and it is somewhat convincing. Complexity in simplicity and vice versa are true to the nature of food, and the quantum theories of science seem to be applying themselves in a new found avtar here.

I admire your wisdom Chef, and must say that I too hope to bask in the glory of being able to think beyond, between and into the lines some day. Heres to the new approach to food, and the deconstructed gazpacho.

cheers