• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Names

Deacon

the story for "the frog and the redneck" (in richmond) goes back to jean-louis in washington, dc...

apparently one day jean-louis palladin was pissing off his sous chef, jimmy snead, big time...and jimmy snead had enough, and exclaimed "You're a fucking frog!" where jean-louis held up his knife and said, "Oh yeah!, well you're a fucking redneck!"

thus the name was born...i believe jean-louis had a stake in the restaurant.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

There's an excellent restaurant in New Brunswick, NJ called "The Frog and Peach." (Actually, the owner? manager? is a member here.) I always wondered if they got the name from Beyond the Fringe or its sequel Behind the Fridge, or somewhere else.

And yes, that's what I heard about The Frog and the Redneck. :biggrin:

apparently one day jean-louis palladin was pissing off his sous chef, jimmy snead, big time...and jimmy snead had enough, and exclaimed "You're a fucking frog!" where jean-louis held up his knife and said, "Oh yeah!, well you're a fucking redneck!"

This reminds me of the neon sign for Harold's Chicken in Chicago. Fat chef holding an axe making (3) chopping motions at a chicken.

• 3 weeks later...

Bar just off campus at Univ. of Tennessee: "The Library." :biggrin:

Diner in Loudon, Tennessee: "Sam & Allie's" (not Sam & Ella's, but close enough....)

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

There was a kebab/pizza place in Durham called Bennys, where somebody strategically ripped bits off the sign to make it look like it was called penis.

They never fixed the sign, I think the increased publicity boosted their sales - though it did spark the legendary quote from a friend of mine

I'm not eating that burger, they taste worse than penis'......

I love animals.

They are delicious.

There was a Chinese restaurant in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware called: Wonton Desire

Chinese in Washington, DC on 14th Street (the old red light district): Good Ho

There is also a new Thai restaurant in DC: Thai Thanic

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

• 4 months later...

A restaurant I saw in Paris: 'Il etait une Oie dans la Sud-Ouest'

For non-Francophones, it's a play on what would be translated as, "Once upon a time in the South-West", except that the word for 'time', 'fois', is substituted with 'oie' or 'goose'. Geese are, of course, one of the sources of the foie gras so typical of southwestern France.

Allright....its a little TOO cute....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

does the Madam's organ have a transvestite hostess? if not, i think it should. and she must be fabulous.

i realize they are two different words but I can't see the sign for Aureole and not think nipple. :huh:

There was a place around here called "Pudding it First", which served.... you got it, all pudding, all the time. 

Not sure of it closed because of the cutesy name or because there is NO WAY a pudding restaurant is ever going to succeed.

There is a rice pudding place in Manhattan Rice to Riches.

It's quite popular.

Oh, and the Soy Luck Club.

Edited by sherribabee (log)
Sherri A. Jackson

Harolds! Oh man, heartburn just thinking of it... did you ever see their bomber brown 70s station wagon with the chicken head on top of it? Talk about advertising.

My favorite was down the street from Harolds. Homey Sub. And then right next to that was "Gill Beer" Where the drive up window was literally just an old double hung on the side of the building. You would pull up and an old guy would raise the sash and yell "Whadda Want?!" Of course they only sold one thing, glass gallon jugs of homemade brew. It's claim to fame was that it NEVER went flat. ack.

I also love the Curl Up and Dye salon on Clark.

Gotta love Chicago.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Hung Far Lo (Portland, OR)

Oh no, MsRamsey, you took mine! As soon as I saw the topic name, I thought of the enormous Hung Far Lo sign, and I laughed... :laugh::laugh: It's hard to believe that Hung Far Lo is for real, but I went there with some friends... interesting experience.

Have you ever experienced their house drink? "The Hung Far Lo"

What about the name "Closed"

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Seen in the Berkshires this last weekend: From Ketchup to Caviar.

My old favorite was Snail Thai, in Hyde Park Chicago. I avoided the place for at least three months based on the name. Turned out to be a decent Thai restaurant.