• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Names

Deacon

Functional Fuel Bar & Restaurant in Seattle.  According to their menu it "pleases the palate nurtures the body".

www.functionalfuel.com

I'm almost positive that it's now closed. I personally couldn't stand the concept anyway.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Functional Fuel Bar & Restaurant in Seattle.  According to their menu it "pleases the palate nurtures the body".

www.functionalfuel.com

I'm almost positive that it's now closed. I personally couldn't stand the concept anyway.

I hate to tell you MsRamsey, but Functional Fuel is in business. I have not been there, but someone handed hubby a flyer downtown yesterday which he brought home.

I have not been to a health food restaurant since I had a glass of wheat grass juice at Gravity Bar maybe a dozen years ago. :blink:

But some of the choices on this menu he brought home look kind of tasty. (Roast Halibut w/ Curried Vegetables, NW Seafood Stew, Roast Marinated Salmon w/Pineapple Salsa over soba noodles).

I'd like to add to my original post: there's a place called Confusion in Chicago, which sounded odd until I speculated that the food there must be "fusion" of some kind. Also there's Cashion's Eat Place in DC, which sounds like a name they came up with at 4:59 PM on a Friday afternoon. And of course the "imaginatively" named Eating Establishment, which is or was somewhere in Utah, maybe Salt Lake City. . . .

*pause*

Not believing it was real, I just looked up the Eating Establishment. It's apparently an actual place--in Park City, not Salt Lake. The locals stumble in for greasy breakfasts at 8 AM after a night of strong drink.

Edited by Deacon (log)

Or The Village Idiot, another bar on 14th Street and Ninth Avenue?

please don't ever mention that bar again. ever.

regards,

tommy

Oh????? :hmmm:

I forgot one other place: Eat Here Now, a coffee shop a few blocks from Bloomingdale's.

BTW: Nation's Restaurant News has a weekly feature listing "funny" names that readers send in, from all over the country.  A recent one was Rhythm & Brews, in Boynton Beach, FL.

I like that. With a name like that, they should have live music. Does anyone know if they do? Where is Boynton Beach, anyway?

Michael aka "Pan"

La Cucaracha, a restaurant in Soho, London.

Downtown Beirut,  a bar in the East Village in the late 80s ealy 90s.

Downtown beirut was amazing, great punk rock juke box and $1 drinks from 8 to 8! ...ahh my misspent youth

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Well, she's in LA, and I couldn't get away from NY.  I'm sure there would be some law against the profanity.  If not, I may still do it.

ah. i just figured that you couldn't get your shit together. :blink:

Well collectively, we couldn't.

What ya got against the Village Idiot?

How come no one's mentioned Phucket in SF?

And of course the "imaginatively" named Eating Establishment, which is or was somewhere in Utah, maybe Salt Lake City. . . .

*pause*

Not believing it was real, I just looked up the Eating Establishment. It's apparently an actual place--in Park City, not Salt Lake. The locals stumble in for greasy breakfasts at 8 AM after a night of strong drink.

It's the "Double E" - the main one is in fact in Park City but there's a small one in the SLC airport too. And please. Greasy breakfasts? If only. It's for the time-share, red sweater crowd.

It's the "Double E" - the main one is in fact in Park City but there's a small one in the SLC airport too. And please. Greasy breakfasts? If only. It's for the time-share, red sweater crowd.

Beg pardon. I was getting my info from the "citysearch" entry. . . .

Sweats, a barbeque joint in Nashville (may have two t's, but either way I could never bring myself to eat there).

Flo's Kitchen and Discount Shoes somewhere in Florida, I kid you not.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Actually, it is the people with mullets who toss the other species of mullets. What is the plural for mullet? Mulleti? The Flora Bama is a pretty skanky bar. Been there, done that, don't have to go back. Not even when I go home to visit family.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The Raw Deal - Austin, Texas. It's original location was on a one block long street surounded by one way streets. You could drive in circles for twenty minutes just trying to find the street. When you walked in the door, the sign over the counter read "If you don't like The Raw Deal, just remember - you came looking for The Raw Deal, The Raw Deal didn't come looking for you."

Taco Flats - also Austin. The name wasn't so bad, but over the order counter was a rat pelt nailed to the wall with a sign --- "Fresh meat served daily." They modeled their outside sign after the early McDonalds signs that claimed Five Million Sold, then crossed it out and raised the number each year. After their first successful year in business, Taco Flats claimed "1,000 Tacos Returned", which was crossed out the next year to announce "2,500 Tacos Returned".

• 1 month later...
Strange Fruit Smoothie Bar and Restaurant, in the jazz district of Kansas City.

Gah!

Over the weekend I decided I wanted to open a place called Vlad Tapas. I'll serve all the dishes on vertical skewers of course.

*sigh* If only it were still the late 90s, I could get someone to give me a million dollars for that idea....

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Hung Fatt.

Jinmyo - where did you see this? Hung Fatt was also the name of the Chinese neighborhood take out joint in Gloucester Ontario.

Great place, rather unappetizing name, the Black Tomato in Ottawa. I have had beautiful "black" heirloom tomatoes before, but the image that springs to mind is the rotten one at the bottom of the box.

And as for multipurpose places, heres one on Oxford Street, Sydney. Stop in for lunch, a shave and a sweet pair of chaps to show off your freshly massaged glutes!

oxst.business.JPG

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE