• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Good Eats in So. CA

Malaika

I will be coming to CA this week and spending my time between LA and San Diego. I am looking for suggestions for local not-to-miss dinning primarily in the Hunnington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach areas. Also will be going to a Hockey game in LA and of course need to eat and drink before, any suggestions? Thanks, in advance for the advice! :biggrin:

Somebody recently started a topic in this section on dining in Orange County which should give you some suggestions in the Huntington, Newport, Laguna areas.

As for the hockey game, are you going to the Staples Center? If so, you are in the downtown LA area. There is Cafe Pinot (J. Splichal) in the Maquire Gardens of the LA Central Library and Ciudad (Milliken & Feniger) if you want to go the celebrity chef route. There are lots of other options too. What were you looking for?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

The Palm has opened a new branch a block from Staples. If you happen to be in one of the luxury boxes at Staples, there is actually decent and varied food available there, but at a price.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

JFLinLA, we are going to the Staples Center. I am not familiar with the area at all. I would like to find local haunts, I find that some of the best restaurants are off the beaten path and not the big name places. I need a place that we can go casual, we are going to a hockey game after all. Thanks for the heads up on the previous thread, I will be checking it out tomorrow.

tissue, can you enlighten me in regard to Little Tokyo?

The area around Staples Center is in transition. We were going to hock our souls to the NFL and build a stadium but the city council came to its senses and declined. When are you going? During the week many attendees are likely to be business folk in suits having removed their ties, enjoying entertaining folks on their expense accounts. On the weekend, a more casual air prevails. As for local haunts, at 9th & Figueroa (very close) you'll find The Pantry, a 24 hour greasy spoon owned by a former mayor. The best meal here is breakfast. Further afield is the Grand Central Market at 3rd & Hill, a sort of poor man's food court with all sorts of ethnic specialties available. Particularly good are the gorditas, tortas, burritos, tacos, etc. at several vendors toward the center. Little Tokyo is a bit further away. There I would recommend the sushi at Mako, 123 S. Onizuka St. #307 (Weller Court). Also in Weller Court is a branch of Curry House which serves inexpensive curries of various intensities. Further afield is Chinatown, Union Station and nearby Phillipe's for beef dip sandwiches, Olvera Street (more Mexican). Have a good stay.

Malaika -- I agree pretty much with Hollywood and would only add the following information. The Pantry is the most traditional LA haunt that is within walking distance of Staples. I think the term "greasy spoon" may be a bit off but know that, for dinner, you are talking about a heavy meal -- think meat, gravy, etc. There are two other options to consider. The Korean restaurant at the Wilshire Grand hotel would give you a chance to sample some cuisine that you may not get easily in other parts of the country. There is certainly equally good (of not better), and definitely cheaper Korean food to be had in town but this is pretty close to Staples. The other option would be to hop the Metro Rail to Langers for great pastrami sandwiches. Metro Blue Line station is a block from Staples. Ride it one stop to Metro Center/7th Street then go down one level and transfer to the Red Line and one stop to MacArthur Park. Langers is a half block from the station. Just call them first. I go to Langers for lunch but, as neighborhoods have changed, I'm not sure about their evening hours.

Enjoy our city.

Langer's makes a great pastrami on rye and you can get a Dr. Brown's Black Cherry to drink. It's only open til 4:00 pm and it's closed Sundays. You can drive there (7th & Alvarado) and there's a nearby parking lot where they validate for 1 hour. It's perfectly safe till 4:00 pm. You may detect the odor of urine or rotting garbage as you walk the short block from the parking lot to Langer's but in addition to local color you get local odor.

Edited by hollywood (log)

has anyone been to langer's recently? i was surprised the last time i went that the pastrami had been machine-sliced. i said something to the waitress and she came back with some story about "the chef thinks it tastes better that way, but he'll hand-slice it if you want." machine-sliced was still pretty good, but for the full fatty texture, you really need the hand-sliced. forewarned is forearmed.

Russ: Haven't been there lately but maybe you, Hollywood & I need to take a field trip. It's a little cool anyway and I think I would really enjoy some good soup.

has anyone been to langer's recently? i was surprised the last time i went that the pastrami had been machine-sliced.

My husband was there the 2nd week in January and he did not notice a difference in the Pastrami in his #19 sandwich. He has been eating the #19 since 1971 and loves it.

Two other downtown places that occur to me are: Senor Fish, on the edge of Little Tokyo at 424 E. 1st Street, 213/625-0566, go for the fish tacos (that's the best thing they have) and 410 Boyd, located at 410 Boyd in the Toy District, 213/617-2491, a hip place to have seared ahi and other minimalist fusion things. In either case, call for the hours of operation.

LA Serenita di Garibaldi is heavy on Mexican seafood and the accompaning sauces. La Serenata de Garibaldi is at 1842 E. First St., (323) 265-2887.

It's in Boyle Heights, and is moderately close to downtown. The food is great and it's not like anything back home.