• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Dining Etiquette

Another rule from my walking, talking reference:

Soup goes on the right of the setting, rice in the middle of the setting, banchan in the middle of the table.

As to the crab soup, her reaction is a bemused "I would eat the crab". I can attest to this from past history. She and her friend brought a restaurant in India to a hushed silence as they broke and crunched through the carapace.

That horrible cracking sound.

I still have nightmares.

As to the crab soup, her reaction is a bemused "I would eat the crab".  I can attest to this from past history.  She and her friend brought a restaurant in India to a hushed silence as they broke and crunched through the carapace.

That horrible cracking sound.

I still have nightmares.

Oooooooh, that was you sobbing in the corner! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was raised in a part of the country that produces a lot of crab; I grew up gnawing my way through many a crab carapace. (I think I might have teethed on them.) But I'll abstain if I ever visit India. I'd hate to think my dining habits were capable of causing an entire roomful of people to develop post traumatic stress disorder!

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

whole crab in a soup? that is weird. In korea there is a spicy stew that contains pieces of crab. It is mainly crab claws/legs with the body attached. Perhaps I will edit this after I find a picture.

Anyways, you are supposed to pick up the crab with your chopsticks and fingers (at the same time) and pick through the meat or put it on your rice and eat it that way. I don't know how the heck you would pick through a crab if it wasn't broken up or cracked at least. that's really odd

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA