• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Besan Ke Ladoo

Tomorrow is my grandfathers Barsee (death anniversary).

In India, it is a ritual for us to go to his favorite store in Delhi and get these ladoos. Actually the best are made in Agra. But those come to us only after the anniversary. The ashram will send them in the mail. And I always was the happies kid on the planet when that large box arrived in the mail.

Tomorrow, we will make these at home. I have made them twice before. They were better than what one finds in the Indian stores in NYC...but still no where as good as I remember from the halwais in Delhi or the ones that came from Agra.

Do you have a recipe for making these? :smile:

:cool:

Sorry Suvir

Had lots to do in the morning!

When I make it , I try and make it simple

sugar 1 lb

Besan (Chickpea) flour 1 lb Sifted

Sooji (Semolina) 1/4 lb

Ghee 6 Oz

Elaichi (Cardamom) Pwdr 1 Tspn

Optional, any chopped nuts, turmeric (a pinch) and or dessicated coconut.

Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Lower the heat and add flour and fry until golden brown. Once brown, take it off the fire add sugar, nuts, cardamom powder and mix well. After cooling, grease your clean palms with oil or ghee and form round balls.

Good Luck

P2 :raz:

suvir, apologies, just got on for the first time today. here's a recipe, unsuprisingly pretty similar to p2's

4 katoris besan, slightly coarsely ground if possible

3 katoris confectioners sugar

1/4 katori milk

1-1/2 to 1-3/4 katoris ghee ( i think your amber ghee would be wonderful for this!)

cardamom, almonds etc

fry the besan in the ghee until golden brown

take of the heat, sprinkle the milk over the flour and stir well

when it is luke warm, add the sugar and mix well

when completely cold, knead well for 5-6 minutes on a clean plate.

add the cardamom powder and chopped almonds (i prefer them without almonds) and make laddus

the kneading, btw, keeps the laddus soft even after they are formed.

enjoy!

wow - i just noticed the sooji in p2's recipe. sooji. wow. learn something new everyday.

maharashtrians, of course, have the sans-sooji version.

Thanks Prasad and Indiagirl!

I made my own recipe.. and actually it was amazing.

My recipe is similar to yours Indiagirl, it takes long time to roast, but well worth it...

The ladoos were almost as good as those from Agra... but I guess the ladoos from Agra have a spiritual magic that no ladoo from anywhere else can match.

I will share the recipe for mine. They are easy to prepare. I use Ladoo Besan (chickpea flour for ladoos) for my recipe. It gives the gritty texture that makes the ladoos sensational.

The key is to brown the besan really nicely and till it really has no raw besan smell.

I add saffron and almonds in my ladoos.

I fry the almonds prior to adding the besan into the ghee. It makes them crunchy and great.

The satsang went nicely.. thanks to each of you for helping me with recipes.

My grandpa will be happy we kept on the tradition far away from our homes, and I am sure he thanks you all for helping in the experience