• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover steak

Sandra Levine

sliced Steak sandwiches on toast, with a mayonaisse/mustard/white horseradish sauce.

Serve with a double bock beer or a burgundy. Yeah.

or, get some onions and peppers, sautee them up with some olive oil or neutral cooking oil, throw the sliced steak in there for a minute or two. serve on warm tortillas with freshly made guacamole and sour cream and chopped hot chipotle peppers.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I slice it thinly and, in a little butter, saute some onions, sometimes mushrooms as well, and then add the beef strips and quickly heat through.

Pile it all onto your favorite sandwich bun.

This makes absolutely fabulous steak sandwiches.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

and sprinkled with ground toasted rice.  please.

Details, please. Do you grind the rice yourself or is it something you purchase already ground?

toast the rice in a dry pan and grind it in a spice grinder or similar device. mortar and pestle actually work well. i find that my favorite thai beef salads have this sprinkled on the meat itself, adding a great texture.

Last week I diced up some leftover bulgogi strip steaks and tossed it with cooked double-smoked lardons. Made sandwiches with grilled provolone on kaisers. (Served with a soup made from leftover kimchee.) Very popular. :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Last week I diced up some leftover bulgogi strip steaks and tossed it with cooked double-smoked lardons. Made sandwiches with grilled provolone on kaisers. (Served with a soup made from leftover kimchee.) Very popular. :blink:

That sounds lovely. I'd KILL for that right now.

I have a recipe I love for leftover BURNED steak (unfamiliar broiler, everything caught fire). Cut it into fine pieces. Saute celery, rice, onion, and green pepper (decending volumes). Add 28oz can of tomatoes (or fresh), cup of water,Worcestershire, salt, pepper, chili powder, meat, and some black olives. Cover, bring to a boil, put in oven, bake for about 45 minutes at 325.

I didn't have any expectations when I did this the first time, but boy, was it good. I used up all of my burned steak the first time I tried this, and am almost tempted to burn some more. It's just not as good with ground beef, the way it was intended.

let the cat have it. remember to take at least 5 photos while it meows, rubs its head against your ankles, eats, and cleans itself, and then

post it here!

(not on tommy's bio, as i'm rarely in that neighborhood)

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Sliced steak sandwich..... club roll, butter, sweet onion, horseradish, s&p.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

There is a reason it is called a "doggie bag" -- yet another reason why man is a dog's best friend. :biggrin:

But, assuming you do not have a dog . . . i've always thought about making a version of Wollensky's roast beef hash -- any thought on whether that would work with steak?

I tried this recipe from a new sushi cookbook by this woman who used to work at Nobu. Sear a ny strip till rare, plunge in ice water to stop cooking and degrease. Then marinate it overnight or for couple of hours in 50:50 sake and soy sauce. Slice thinly. Place on top of japanese rice, with some daikon grated with chili, thinly sliced red onions and chopped scallions.

Not bad meal at all and no greasy, guilty feeling that normally comes after polishing off a big steak!

Since Mr.s P and I go out for a steak dinner on the average of about once every week and a half, we end up with lots of leftover steak. My favorite way of eating the leftovers is cold from the fridge, sliced about 1/4 inch thick, along with sliced tomatoes (best quality given what season you are in)drizzled with the house favorite olive oil (which happens to be the one I import :wink:) and sprinkled with kosher salt. I usually have some type of cheese I eat along with it like brie or Peyrac or sometimes very fresh goat cheese. It makes for a superior meal. If the meat is well marbled, the olive oil adds a dimension to the marbling that gives it a great texture.

Finished the last of the leftover steak with an adaptation of Jinmyo's sandwich. I cut the ends off a Pain Quotidien baguettte and divided the rest in half. I sprinkled the bottoms with some olive oil, laid on the thinly sliced steak, topped the steak with bacon strips and sauteed onion. Topped everything with thin slices of Morbier and put under the broiler until the cheese melted. Yummy. Three meals altogether, but this is more beef than I usually eat in a month.