• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

flower teas

torakris

While shopping today I pick up some bags of hibiscus flowers, rose hips, and jasmine flowers, I have only drunk teas made from these in tea bag form and am not sure how what to do with them.

Suggestions?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I've made a tisane from peppermint leaves and hibiscus, probably about 5 or 6 to one, since the hibiscus is so strong in color and pucker. Total of a couple of teaspoons steeped in boiling water for 5-10 minutes. I'm not a fan of jasmine, so I'll pass. And the rose hips, IIRC, is similar in color and strength of pucker to the hibiscus, all that Vit C, I suppose.

I'm more of a black, yunnan, oolong and green tea fanatic - not so much on the tisanes.

memesuze

I make a hibiscus infusion/extract of 8 oz. flowers and 6 cups boiling water. Let it steep for an hour or more, then strain through cheesecloth or a coffee filter. A spoonful or two mixed with sparkling water and a little lime is delicious. I like it unsweetened, but it's good with a little sugar too.

A slug or two of vodka turns this into a great summer drink.

I make a hibiscus infusion/extract of 8 oz. flowers and 6 cups boiling water. Let it steep for an hour or more, then strain through cheesecloth or a coffee filter. A spoonful or two mixed with sparkling water and a little lime is delicious. I like it unsweetened, but it's good with a little sugar too.

A slug or two of vodka turns this into a great summer drink.

Its even better when you skip the tea... :smile:

I found a recipe in an old Food and Wine that calls for

4 ounces hibiscus

2 1/2 quarts of water

1 1/2 to 2 cups of sugar

The info says that in Mexico it is served very sweet and suggests orange slices for garnish.

Does that sound too sweet?

Has anyone ever tried this Mexican version?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I had some in Oaxaca a few years ago - they call it Jamaica (pronounced ha-MY-ka). I remember it being quite well-balanced and refreshing, but leaning more toward "puckery" than sweet. Faced with your recipe, I would be tempted to back off on the sugar.

Get some top grade Green tea and mix some of the dried jasmine flowers with it and drink. At Ten Ren in NYC, they charge like 90 bucks a pound for that stuff.

Its also done with Rose hips, I have a Black tea from china that has the rose hips in it.

Both of these teas that I have are loose teas.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 months later...

Kris:

Sorry about the late reply. My parents and I have hibiscus tea almost every day. We take it because experimental studies have shown that it lowers blood pressure 11 points on average (I don't remember whether those 11 points were systolic or/and diastolic). I also enjoy the bracingly tart taste of the tea. My recipe is as simple as can be: Put dried organic hibiscus flowers in a tea spoon (that is, one of those spoons that is really two perforated spoons that enclose around a substance), add hot water, steep, and drink. No sugar needed. But watch out lest you dye something red. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"