• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Kimchi Topic

Har har har. I've just gotten some garlic stem kimchee and some shiso leaf kimchee. Bwhahahaha.

/cough

I love kimchee.

garlic stem kimchi, that sounds great I am going to have to try to make that one.

I ahve made the shiso one before and it was really good (just that and a bowl of gohan........... :wub: ), I am sure it would have been better with the Korean shiso though because it is thicker.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kristin, the differences between the Japanese and Korean versions id similiar ingredients is very interesting.

I agree about the shiso kimchee and gohan. Hard to have room for anything else, it's so good.

The garlic stems are tender, very herbaceous, crunchy. Very nice with grilled saba (mackerel).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

can someone tell me if a story I was told on my recent US trip is total B/S or not?

I was in Chicago for a very brief meeting and met with a very elderly man who started the company with whom I am to publish a number of books.

We started talking about Korea as he promised to take me to his favourite place and he had served in Korea during the war and he told me that during and just after the conflict, the US forces were hampered in their attempts to remove all the land mines because every other beep on their metal detector turned out to be a metal cannister of kimchi fermenting in the ground

have no idea if it is true, but a great story to imagine some young soldier sweating as he tried to difuse a pot of pickled cabbage.........

S

Speaking as a kimchi neophyte here: does daikon kimchi always stink?  :unsure:

Yes.

Simon, I've heard that story many times.

Yvonne, kimchee saves.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

all kimchis stink! :biggrin:

My fellow dorm mates in college forbid to keep any in my room, beacuse every time I opened it the smell wafted through out the entire building!

Interesting story I had never heard it before, no idea to its authenticity, but isn't kimchi normally stored in clay pots in the ground?

Kristin, yes. Clay (or metal) pots during the fermentation periods.

Which is why it is so fragrant. Um, I mean "stinks". It's fermented. Which is also why it is so effervescent and bubbly, especially when first opened.

It's not too bad if its on the cool side but on a hot humid summer day. I'll have to invent a Wallace & Gromit contraption to pick the kimchee from a distance.

Plus I can't stand eating warm kimchee it's like drinking warm beer.

Edited by DavidJS (log)

Kristin, the differences between the Japanese and Korean versions id similiar ingredients is very interesting.

I agree about the shiso kimchee and gohan. Hard to have room for anything else, it's so good.

The garlic stems are tender, very herbaceous, crunchy. Very nice with grilled saba (mackerel).

There was recently a big controversy (in Korea at least) about ownership

over the ISO standard for kimchi. Apparently the Japanese kimchi interests had proposed basing the standard on "kimuchi" (i.e. Japanese-style Kimchi) rather than the South Korean version. As you might expect, there was a huge nationalist uproar in South Korea, as the usual patriots came out to defend their sacred food. I believe that the eventual ajudication was separate standards for "kimchi" and "kimuchi". So the great kimchi war was

averted.

The general stereotype of Japanese kimuchi in Korea is that it has sugar

in it (!) and lacks both garlic and chili. Also that it is only made from baechu

(hakusai) and mu (daikon) while Korean kimchi comes in a lot of varieties.

From what I understand that may have been the case in the past (i.e. 1990s) but is no longer true.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

There was recently a big controversy (in Korea at least) about ownership

over the ISO standard for kimchi. Apparently the Japanese kimchi interests had proposed basing the standard on "kimuchi" (i.e. Japanese-style Kimchi) rather than the South Korean version. As you might expect, there was a huge nationalist uproar in South Korea, as the usual patriots came out to defend their sacred food. I believe that the eventual ajudication was separate standards for "kimchi" and "kimuchi". So the great kimchi war was

averted.

The general stereotype of Japanese kimuchi in Korea is that it has sugar

in it (!) and lacks both garlic and chili. Also that it is only made from baechu

(hakusai) and mu (daikon) while Korean kimchi comes in a lot of varieties.

From what I understand that may have been the case in the past (i.e. 1990s) but is no longer true.

We had a thread on this not too far back:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...chi,and,kimuchi

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

I like the marinated raw crab (blue crab). Don't know the korean name. Does that count as kimchi?

It's marinated in chili paste and garlic, scallions, vinegar?.

The raw crab (called kejang) is not really considered a kimchi. It's in the class of jeot or preserved fishy foods. Other popular kinds are made up of squid, tiny shrimps, fish guts or roe, etc.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I like the marinated raw crab (blue crab). Don't know the korean name. Does that count as kimchi?

It's marinated in chili paste and garlic, scallions, vinegar?.

The raw crab (called kejang) is not really considered a kimchi. It's in the class of jeot or preserved fishy foods. Other popular kinds are made up of squid, tiny shrimps, fish guts or roe, etc.

I love the squid and octopus ones!

They are ridiculously expensive here in Japan though.

Kris,

Everything is expensive in Japan! :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's too bad. The Korean markets where I am sell marinated squid for really cheap. There is usually a deli section on the side of the market that specializes in various kimchi and jeot.

Besides just eating it, what do you all like to do with your kimchi?

Yesterday I made kimchi fried rice which I think is my favorite fried rice.

Kristin, I often use kimchi to braise a few shrimp and some tofu for a quick lunch.

It's also good in sandwiches. :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

It's also good in sandwiches. :smile:

with? :blink:

Just about anything, really. Just drain well.

Oi sabagi kimchi is great alongside grilled cheese sandwiches and anywhere one might have a dill pickle.

When I find myself in times of trouble

Cabbage Kimchi comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom, eat kimchi.

And in my hour of darkness

It is standing right in front of me

Eat kimchi, eat kimchi.

Whisper words of wisdom, eat kimchi.

And when the broken hearted people

Living in the world agree,

There will be an answer, eat kimchi.

For though they may be parted there is

Still a chance that they will see

Eat kimchi, eat kimchi. Yeah

And when the night is cloudy,

There is still a light that shines on me,

Shine on until tomorrow, eat kimchi.

I wake up to the sound of music

Eat kimchi, eat kimchi.

Eat kimchi, eat kimchi,

When I find myself in times of trouble

And in my hour of darkness

It is standing right in front of me

Eat kimchi, eat kimchi.

And when the broken hearted people

Living in the world agree,

For though they may be parted there is

Still a chance that they will see

Eat kimchi, eat kimchi. Yeah

And when the night is cloudy,

There is still a light that shines on me,

Shine on until tomorrow, eat kimchi.

I wake up to the sound of music

Eat kimchi, eat kimchi.

Eat kimchi, eat kimchi,

:laugh:

Turn off your mind, relax and eat kimchi,

It is not dying, it is not dying

Lay down all thoughts, surrender to kimchi,

It is shining, it is shining.

Yet you may see the meaning of kimchi

It is being, it is being

Love is all and love is kimchi

It is knowing, it is knowing

And ignorance and hate may mourn the dead

It is kimchi, it is kimchi

But listen to the kimchi of your dreams

It is not leaving, it is not leaving

So play the game "Existence" to the end

Of the kimchi, of the kimchi

Of the kimchi...