• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional Steamed Crabs in Baltimore & Maryland

Kim WB

I would avoid the all you can eat crabs at all costs. The damm things are SO tiny its not worth it.

I agree with everyone on the sad state of affairs with the Bay. I remember easily pulling in 10 crabs an hour with a few chicken heads in Bethany Beach. Now you would be lucky to get 5 all day.

Edited by DCMark (log)

outside of annapolis: Jimmy Cantler's Riverside Inn

take me with you and I'll even guide you through the unmarked, twisted roads to get there. :raz:

Cantlers is most definitely the spot for crabs. It is kinda out of the way -- off route 50 a few exits before the Bay Bridge, but lots of people manage to find it, particularly on wkends. Unfortunately, if the early forecasts are accurate the prices of crabs should have increased even more drastically than gasoline, but always IMHO worth the splurge at least once a season.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

:biggrin:

Robinson's crab house in Pope'c creek. I went there for mothers day, and they had SPECTACULAR crabs. They weren't the biggest ones you can find, but each and EVERYONE was full of meat!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by tastykimmie (log)

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

Hang around the Childe Harold long enough and your bound to come up with some.

Why oh why must the good name of the Childe Harold be sullied in an otherwise innocent discussion? Just came back from lunch there and again, I wish to affirm that the new chef there rocks! Had a Tuna steak au poivre in red wine sauce that was delish :biggrin:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

• 2 weeks later...

I got wonderful medium crabs, already cooked, at the Dupont Farmer's Market today for $1 each! The vendor is also selling them by the dozen for $10. A delicious deal.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

The "mediums" of today were the smallest of the small 20 years ago. I checked the crabs out this morning and was disappointed by their size. Was there any meat in them?

Despite their pathetic size, $1 a crab still is a great deal.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Actually, they did have a good bit of meat in them; and she threw in a 5th for free that was definitely a large.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 4 weeks later...

Ate crabs last night - picked some up at Cameron's and brought them home.

Yes, the craving was something fierce, and we didn't feel like driving far to get really good crabs, but really, we should have turned right around when faced with the dribbling, black-edged and stinky razor clam cadavers lying spread-eagle and exposed on the melting ice. If that didn't put us off, we should have taken note of the display of fresh oysters in canning jars - one lid of which was swole like a barefoot-and-pregnant teenager. The hermetic seal on another was (like hers) definitely broken.

Undeterred, we bought a couple dozen (females; no males left at 7pm on a Sunday). The lightness of the bag was only briefly commented upon.

Got home, spread out newspaper. She-crabs were light and filled with water, with mushy flesh. And you know, I was unaware that blue crabs came from West Virginia coal mining towns, but they all seemingly had black-lung. These crabs should have rioted in the company store. They should have hired Erin Brockovich to represent them in a multimillion dollar class-action suit against the mining company. They should have demanded that the camp doctor tell them what was really going on. Thier gills were grey and black and spongy.

They were sad, sorry little specimens (two of which were most definitely not legal sized). Even the roe was dried out and hard.

UGH. This is the third crab eating session of the season for me, and definitely the most dissapointing one.

Anyone have any luck with stores where one can pick up steamed crabs locally and NOT play a crapshoot where if you lose, you get, literally, a sack of crap? I've got good sources for live, but he's too far to drive for a casual Sunday dinner.

I finally got to Cantlers this past weekend with LiamDC. Great place! We had a dozen large one for around $32 (they also had jumbo and extra-jumbo with prices going up to around $50/doz). Served piping hot, plenty of Old Bay, totally delicious. Lotsa meat, very juicy in these suckers. And the service was great--when I cut my finger the waitress brought a bandaid. And when the guy nearby me did the same thing, she even put it on for him!

We arrived around 6 pm on Friday night and were seated on the deck instantly. I noticed a line forming in the parking lot around 7, but that was mostly due to the closure of half the deck, since it'd be raining and was still wet.

-- William Grimes

I have had crabs twice so far this Spring...once from Bethesda Crab House, once from Steamer's. The crabs from Bethesda Crab House exceeded my expectations. Tons of meat and well-seasoned.

I am going for the first time this season to Cantlers this weekend. Glad to hear your experience was good. Will report back next week...

Get the hushpuppies and onion rings!

-- William Grimes

Get the hushpuppies and onion rings!

Okay, I LOVE the onion rings at Cantlers! For some reason, they are my favorite ever.

Do they really have hushpuppies?? I have never noticed them on the menu and I am a huge fan of a good hushpuppy.

Yep, they have hushpuppies. LOVE that name-- hush puppies...

-- William Grimes

At the asian market on Nicholson in Rockville (I think it is a Lotte) they are selling plump medium crabs for about $1.50 a piece.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

So, we took our first trip to Cantler's this year and were not disappointed.

We ordered a dozen and a half larges (all bigger sizes were sold out at 7 pm on Sat). They came piping hot, full of sweet meat, and perfectly seasoned...yum!

Ordered the hushpuppies Sara talked about...so good! In fact, we ordered another basket, but they brought fries and onion rings instead and we were too busy stuffing our faces with crab to protest.

By the way, I have become a fan of their frozen drinks. I had a Fuzzy Cantler for dessert and it was a perfect way to end the meal.

Sorry to be ressurecting an old thread and I'll apologize in advance if my choice is pretty horrid. I took my mom to Fairfax Crab House (Captain Pell's) a month ago and it was somewhat decent. The decor was horrible, but the crabs were actually quite fresh, although slightly too much crab boil mix.

I wonder what your opinions are on this place...

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. After 5 years in DC, finally made my first excursion to Annapolis Friday afternoon. I decided to lose my crab innocence at Cantler's. I was not disappointed. It's as much entertainment as it is eating.

I went with two out of town guests. We started off with some soup and crab dip. Their soups rock. I personally went with the cream of crab. That may have actually been the tastiest part of the meal.

We decided to continue with an order of the softshell clams -- something I'd never tried before. Apparently they're also known as "pissers." I was actually quite turned off by these. One member of the party sucked them down like coca-cola, but their appearance and taste just didn't do it for me.

But all was forgotten during the main course. We went with a dozen larges for the three of us. It was the perfect amount. They were $53 a dozen. Our neighboring table advised us that the extra larges weren't worth it at like $75 a dozen. As sides I chose the hush puppies (yum) and a corn on the cob.

The crabs were delicious. Luckily after all the starters I wasn't starving, so I enjoyed taking the time to crack these babies open. I think the seasoning (old bay?) they serve on the side is an acquired taste, but a hint of it on the crab after being dipped in vinegar tasted mighty fine.

So, we're at the height of the season. Go now!! You won't be disappointed.

We went with a dozen larges for the three of us. It was the perfect amount. They were $53 a dozen.

$53/dozen?!?!?!?! :shock:

Yikes. Almost $4.50/crab. :sad:

Did they fly first class from the Gulf Coast?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Latest crab report -

Bushel from Waterman's in Ocean City. Small-ish (I thought) mediums, $89/bushel. The larges, about .5-1 inch larger from point to point than the mediums, were running $139/bushel.

They were uniformly sweet and plump, if a bit small, and full of heavy, firm meat. The shells actually came away very easily - provided for easier access - though I don't know if that's a good thing. My only real complaint was that the mustard was pretty grey in most of them.

I ate sixteen over the course of 3 hours. Urp.

• 1 month later...

hi gulleters,

as we approach crab season, was curious to know where locals go for crabs. will be in the inner harbor mid october, and don't want to go to obryckis. Will have a car, so driving should not be an issue. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

allister