• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional Steamed Crabs in Baltimore & Maryland

Kim WB

I hate to say this, but we should probably do it...

How many times did you feast on crabs last year? Can you make a commitment to cut it in half this year?

Call it a blue crab intervention, but the harvest ain't what it used to be. I remember when I first moved to Maryland back in 84 (jesus, I'm 37 years old and I'm saying "i remembah back in '84"), crabs were so much more plentiful. I think a bushel was $40, not a week's pay. And I'm talking #1 Jimmies.

I love em too, but I think I've resigned myself to one big feast for the year.

Gotta steam, not boil....

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I hate to say this, but we should probably do it...

How many times did you feast on crabs last year? Can you make a commitment to cut it in half this year?

Call it a blue crab intervention, but the harvest ain't what it used to be. I remember when I first moved to Maryland back in 84 (jesus, I'm 37 years old and I'm saying "i remembah back in '84"), crabs were so much more plentiful. I think a bushel was $40, not a week's pay. And I'm talking #1 Jimmies.

I love em too, but I think I've resigned myself to one big feast for the year.

Gotta steam, not boil....

Yes.

Only once last -- no twice last year. Can recall three or more times/summer growing-up having crab feasts....

Around mid-july as well..

Planned a fourth'o7' w/ crabs, but was rejected with the 'first come first served -- $200/bushel fer mediums'...

steam, no-boil, no old bay..... fer tourists--get yer own!! DAMN!

Jimmies=washington monument

Sooks= Capitol

• 4 months later...

I was cruising down US 13 fresh from a rather satisfying eating and shopping tour of Reading Terminal Market in Philly (a belly fulla hoagie, a cooler fulla kielbasa) when, much to my horror, I spotted a McDonald's sign advertising "THE NEW CRABCAKE SANDWICH." I think it was somewhere north of the Maryland border. Anyone else heard of this ?? Who eats this crap?? :shock:

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Probably the same people who would order the lobster roll sandwich from McDonalds. I have to admit I ordered one of those the last time I was in the Manchester, NH airport. It was actually ok.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I wonder if they will get a famous chef/food activist to promote it?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 5 months later...

Ok, had to do that! :biggrin:

Seriously, when does the season start? We're going to be on the Eastern Shore June 25--any favorite places to recommend? Between Easton, Annapolis and DC?

thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sara, I have been wanting to get some crabs too! Haven't had any this year yet, though.

But I love Cantlers. If we are going to drive for crabs, we head to Cantlers. Aside from great crabs, Cantlers also has my favorite onion rings anywhere.

Locally, we will go to Steamers in Bethesda. Don't like Bethesda Crab House, even though I am sure it will get votes from others.

If you do go for crabs, report back about how they are.

You should be aware that there is a substantial liklihood that the crabs you get in many of those restaurants are imported from places like Louisiana. The crab harvest in the Chesapeake Bay has been dismal for several year. There is a sign in the Harris Crab House on Kent Island notifying customers that the crabs they get may not be local.

Hang around the Childe Harold long enough and your bound to come up with some.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Hang around the Childe Harold long enough and your bound to come up with some.

Personal experience Jared??

Yeah, I'm aware there's a dearth of real Chesapeke crabs, it's been going on for some time; thus the sky-high prices. But when I was younger, I went to Ernie's in Alexandria every week during the summer, and I miss it tons. I guess some calling around is warrented.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Ok, had to do that!  :biggrin:

Seriously, when does the season start? We're going to be on the Eastern Shore June 25--any favorite places to recommend? Between Easton, Annapolis and DC?

thanks

Insider info - When I was living in Salisbury, MD, there was a place in Whitehaven called the Red Roost. A renovated chicken house with picnic tables running the whole length. Proper steamed crabs (dumped with style in front of you, fried chicken, crab cakes, cold draft beer in plastic mugs, steamed shrimp, and a parking lot full of pick-um-up trucks.

Very likely could not be open, but worth the visit if it is.

I was just about to start a post with the words, "when I was living in Salisbury, MD..." and suggest the same thing. It's been a few years since I've been to the Red Roost, but it used to be great-- especially in late summer when the silver queen corn was at it's best. Their fried chicken was pretty good too. I think it was about $25 for all you could eat. I knew some people who would work there in the summer and they were trained to serve up as much fried clams and shrimp as possible so you'd be too stuffed to eat many crabs. The average customer only ate about 4 of them. I think I did 18 once. Important tip: wash your hands BEFORE you go to the bathroom. The Old Bay on your fingers will... well, you get the picture.

The thing is, crabs ain't what they used to be anywhere around here as far as I've seen. I hate to sound like an old geezer, but back in my day you had to wear heavy shoes in the shower just to avoid the crabs nippin at your toes, there were so many of em. Nowadays, you could dredge the whole dang bay and only come up with a few bushels. A bushel of #1 Jimmies (jumbo males) was about $40 back in the early 80s. I think I saw them last summer for $175?!?!?

Like mnebergall said, it's likely they're from the gulf, not the bay. I actually hope they're from the gulf. The bay needs time to replenish. If it ever recovers at all.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

-- A.B.

Somewhat off-topic, but for all the long years of publicity we've seen for Save The Bay etc., very little has been done to restore it, and in fact it's in worse shape now than it has ever been.

Here's an article talking about it. I've talked with people who know a lot about this stuff, and the pessimistic wisdom is that there simply may be too many people to reverse the Bay's downward trend in water quality.

I've talked with people who know a lot about this stuff, and the pessimistic wisdom is that there simply may be too many people to reverse the Bay's downward trend in water quality.

When you look at the huge area that drains into the bay, it's no wonder people are pessimistic. The crabs, oysters, and sport-fish like rockfish, are just a tiny fraction of what they once were.

Chesapeake Bay Watershed Map

-- A.B.

Red Roost, as of last year, is still there and living up to its legend. Crab Alley in Ocean City, Pope's Creek with three places, Cantler's but ONLY for crabs and the best overall which is closed because of hurricane damage, Stoney's in Broome Island. Kelly's and Bill's in Baltimore also.

I've talked with people who know a lot about this stuff, and the pessimistic wisdom is that there simply may be too many people to reverse the Bay's downward trend in water quality.

When you look at the huge area that drains into the bay, it's no wonder people are pessimistic. The crabs, oysters, and sport-fish like rockfish, are just a tiny fraction of what they once were.

Chesapeake Bay Watershed Map

I cannot tell you how sad this makes me. After years of silent infatuation with the Bay, I'm finally reading Michener's Chesapeake epic--in my mind's eye, the days of crabs and oysters walking into own's mouth are still here....and yet I did a crash course on the Bay a few months back for an article and there was no way to turn it around, to invite them back

edited b/c my computer crashed while writing, yet curiously posted.

inanimate-feh.

Edited by babka (log)

I went to Ernie's in Alexandria every week during the summer, and I miss it tons. \

perhaps this certain virginia establishment shares an affinity with another crab shack on bladensburg road in cheverly md. its only 20 min from brookland for other ne dc'ers. if that. real cheap by the dozen, take out only. lots of black and white and read all over called for. mallets, clarified butter, old bay, chilled beers.

what more could one want?

ps. postitevely local. 10 years of sustained patronage had taught me that at least, if not only to ordre steamed crabs and absolutely nothing else.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol