• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morimoto

Lesley C

A friend of mine just got back from Morimoto and handed me the menu. I wasn't there so I can't go into details, but he said the meal was amazing and that Morimoto was very kind and happy to be there.

Maybe someone can fill in the blanks on this one.

Glace Phily: a cream cheese sorbet topped with caviar

Carpaccio

Kamo liburi: duck on a custard flan

Sashimi salad

Japanese oysters with foie gras

Spicy lobster: Cajun style

Kobe Yakishabu

Sushi

Dessert: maple creme brulee

4 of my partners went and all enjoyed the evening,everyone is talking about the oyster ,sea urchin, foie gras concoction,sounds like overkill to me though,the re occuring comment is how expensive it was,but cest la vie,the whole soto morimoto crew dined at globe from 2.00 am till 430 this mornin,morimoto in our restaurant ,wow,twas a late night though.........the cajun lobster too,was a hit,can anyone talk about the sake he brought with him ?

Hey, Dave!

Great Lunch today @ Rosalie! BUt I'll be sure to pass by on a Monday night like you said, if You're cookin! :smile:

I went down to Soto on Sunday cuz I wanted to meet Morimoto,which I got to do thanks to Lesley's advice, what a great guy!! Got a picture, an autograph plus they offered me a table on the spot! I practically fainted, too bad I was already resolved into "not being able to get a table", the money I would have spent there is in my summer vacation fund to Philly! So it does pay to go down in person and bat a few eyelashes!! :wink:

If you want to know more about the sake he brought, I believe you may find some info on his restaurant website not to mention his extensive menus.

check out: morimotorestaurant.com

You can also link from that website to the other great Stephen Starr restaurants.

Happy surfing!!

hi Lesley C and others--

i have a link for some food and chef images of the Morimoto night at Soto Old Montreal:

soto morimoto

hope this link works for you all, as it shows several of the dishes Lesley mentions, as well as several brands of sake (someone else asked about).

this is my first post, but i love this board already!

;^)

gordon

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Gordon, great pictures. Thanks for posting. And welcome to eGullet. It's not addictive. It's just... tasty.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Robert Beauchemin was pretty harsh on morimoto this week in the voir.

I quote "on attendait de lui une prestance inoubliable. On a découvert l'expression d'un ego démesuré dont la cuisine ne révèle certainement pas l'exubérance. Et celle d'un businessman futé dont les sakés et autres entreprises commerciales jettent un peu d'ombre sur la carrière. Le chef du Soto, Junichi, peut faire de ce genre de cuisine Est-Ouest quand il veut, et probablement mieux!"

I have to agree that I am always very nervous when I see vertical integration schemes for money... Reminds me of that inside trading witch and her drug dealing boyfriend.

I know and like Robert, BUT I never had a good meal at Soto. And heavens knows I tried. Eat outside their sushi offerings, and you'll see this kitchen's true colours.

From people I know and trust (one from Japan), I heard this meal was great. So the guy brought his Sake. I was told it's only available at Morimoto and Nobu. He wasn't selling it at the door was he? And is there a Morimoto line of knives or aprons I'm not aware of? I don't think it's fair to say his commercial endeavors have cast a shadow on his career. Say that about Bocuse or Emeril, but Morimoto? It doesn't make sense. In fact the guy doesn't want to talk about his years at Nobu or as the Iron Chef.

Maybe Robert will read this and defend his position. :wink:

From people I know and trust (one from Japan), I heard this meal was great. So the guy brought his Sake. I was told it's only available at Morimoto and Nobu.  He wasn't selling it at the door was he? And is there a Morimoto line of knives or aprons I'm not aware of? I don't think it's fair to say his commercial endeavors have cast a shadow on his career. Say that about Bocuse or Emeril, but Morimoto? It doesn't make sense. In fact the guy doesn't want to talk about his years at Nobu or as the Iron Chef.

Maybe Robert will read this and defend his position. :wink:

Yes Lesley,

I agree with you there. He is a genuine individual who takes tremendous pride in what he does. He even took time out of his busy schedule to meet me, a non-paying customer. :smile: Now, would a sell-out do that? I don't think so :wink:

To find out more about Morimoto as a chef and his restaurant check out this link:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...666&hl=morimoto

One should really have all the facts before being so critical and berating someone like that. :hmmm:

You can't really judge someone of that caliber without having been to their restaurant.

What was Mr. Beauchemin expecting? A seat on the Iron Chef tasting panel? :wacko:

Plus, was Mr. Beauchemin expecting Morimoto to cook everything himself? The man's good but there's no way he could be everywhere at once.

Some people I know went and said they thouroughly enjoyed the entire experience and are looking forward to visiting his restaurant in Philly in the near future. :smile:

Reading the last posts in this thread brings to mind a question : on what methodology or criterias do reviewers base themselves when reviewing or simply commenting ( as in the case in Voir) on Chefs, restaurants and/or events ?

This question is meant to bring more information to light concerning the work of these reviewers and in no way is to be perceived as an attack on their trade or comments. ( I just thought I'de make that clear from the get go).

It seems difficult, in certain instances, to differentiate between personnal taste or preferances and objective analysis, commenting and critisizm. Should it be more clearly stated when someone is simply giving there opinion about a certain topic as opposed to when they are actually reviewing the end product being put before them, this exercize being made(maybe) under more specific "journalistic" guidelines i.e.: subject research, reference criterias (value, quality, attention to detail, timing, general taste points:seasonning, temperature, cooking times...) ?

Maybe a journalistic opinion would be appropriate in order to bring to light some information concerning the work involved and the parameters set, this allowing for a better understanding of this trade and the people that practise it...

Again this is simply for information gathering, do not read anything esle into this...

Edited by chopper (log)

Michel

Chopper, these are great questions, many of which have been discussed on threads about restaurant critics on the Food Media and News forum.

If you want to discuss the different Montreal critics' approaches, could you please re-post your question under a new topic. I'm afraid a good discussion could get lost in this thread dedicated to Morimoto.

With so many local chefs involved in eGullet now, I'm sure such a discussion could get pretty interesting. :wink:

Just a note to whoever moved this thread from the Montreal forum, this was discussing Morimoto's dinner at Soto in Montreal, not his restaurant in Philadelphia.

EDIT by Jason Perlow: Sorry, I moved it out of Canada, not realizing it wasnt about his Philly restaurant.