• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

America's Home Cooking

guajolote

11 different kinds of canned beans and their water set to simmer in a crock pot over night

Overnight, at a temperature close to the boil, canned beans (already cooked beans)?

He also added cans of green beans and peas.

After 2 hours of this my wife asked why I was still watching it. I said it was the same reason you slow down to see the car wreck on the side of the road :biggrin:.

We also get Lawrence Welk. He'll be on next weekend with Suze Orman and some self-help guru.

Putting Lawrence Welk after America's Home Cooking was a masterful stroke of programming! Perhaps that was the point. It seems like they nailed that demographic for a solid four hours.

I forgot about the peas and the green beans. Did you catch the comment about every scout having their own tent?

I think Bux may be on to something. I recall a public radio station in NYC many years ago that played a recording of Bessie Smith singing America the Beautiful for three days straight until they got what they needed. Then they celebrated by breaking the record (back in vinyl days) over the air. So maybe PBS will end with a smashing of the crockpot.

Don't kill the crock pot, it's only the messenger, and thank you all for your generous support.

Personally, I would call in a pledge if they promised to show slides of the offers while they play Sinatra music and cut the breaks to 5 minutes. The crockpot show they could have cut entirely...long ago I observed that anything cooked in a crockpot was roughly twice as good cooked any other way.

Besides, even if you wanted to collect all of the "America's Home Cooking" books, do you realize how much it would cost for the pledges to get them? Might as well go to the Cordon Bleu for about the same money.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I think the reason they run those multi-annual fundraisers is because they have run out of money. All they can afford are shows like "Doo-wop 50" or "America's Home Kitchen" or "Yanni's Greatest Hits" etc...