• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cricket time foods

As the World Cup takes place in South Africa, do you think of certain foods you crave as you watch the matches?

I know at Diwan in NYC, Hemant had organized a special buffet for $35.00 each. People began coming at 2:00 AM (yes late night, early morning), large screens had been placed in the room... and people were staying the night watching the game and eating stuff.

What do you munch on/eat as you watch cricket?

Or does food even matter when you are deeply involved in the game?

From "The Perfect Hostess" Rose Henniker Heaton, Metheun 1931

The Squire invites the Local Cricket Team to lunch before the Match

M E N U

Cold lamb Cold Chicken Cold Ham

Fruit Salad

Ginger Beer

He invites the Opposing Team to Lunch

M E N U

Melton Mowbray Pie

Lobster Mayonnaise

Curried Prawns and Crab

Peaches with Hot Chocolate Sauce

Eaton Mess

Champagne Port Cigars

Letter recieved the following morning from the Captain of the Opposing Team

Dear Squire

Many thanks for your hospitality yesterday. Sorry we did not put up much of a show;

It was bad luck that our fast bowler having that fit early in the game. I expect it was the sun that upset our wicket-keeper. The other are alright this morning. You must all come and have lunch with us for the return match

Yours sincerely

Reply from Squire. Postcard

Many thanks for your kind invitation, but I believe our fellows like to bring a couple of sandwiches with them. Thousand thanks all the same.

----------------------

Not forgetting the tradition of cricket teas: cucumber sandwiches, salmon sandwiches cakes etc.

Village cricket would not be th same without beer, and the village pub on the green.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Well, if I had known Hemant was organizing this event, you bet ! I would have been there.

Instead I ended up home not sleeping the night and was up watching the game with some local friends.

Now my idea was to get some Subway cold S/W's, instead we ended up having "muruku'' and spicy "Boondi" (real home made) a spicy one and some Hyderabadi/Southern Indian raost chicken and fresh mini poori's. Cannot complain about my mom's, it's just graet.

But, I do love Hemant's hand in cooking. I think anything he touched at Diwan was devine. I will go back there for the next event, first thing in the morning I am calling up Hemant @ Diwan to make my next reservation for the next major game in the Super Six competetion..

P2

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to folks back home -

India vs Pakistan - Kebabs, vegetable pakoras, chicken tikka and lots of XXXRum(Army Canteen Issue) and Coke

India vs SriLanka - boti-kebab, sookha mutton, hox-mix from haldram in Gurgaon; and again Army Rum and Coke.

Needless to say these two matches always invoke hightened passions in the country.

anil

Lets say India and Australia in the finals.

How about Kangaroo Kababs and Foster's Beer.

P2

That would be not possible here in NYC - The game is pretty much done before lunch time EST.

anil

We are having a large crowd this time, so I am making, Naanazzas -- Naan Pizza's. I learnt how to make them this time when I was home.. you can make it with a Pizza base too. Mine are topped with Butter chicken pieces and Khatta Paneer pieces. On the side we will have Chaat Masala Popcorn, lots of beer and a bunch of crazy Indians

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

so I am making, Naanazzas -- Naan Pizza's.

Monica

Thanks for the Hint

In the past I have had done some Indian Rotizza. These are made out of Tandoori whole wheat rotis. Here are some I have tried and thought pretty interesting and even some Indian Bars should do these Rotizzas .

All should have grated paneer with amchur or chat masala and choice of Makhni Sauce as well.

1. Roti Tikka - W/ Shredded Chicken Tikka or Tandoori Chicken

2. Roti Sausage - W/ Mutton Seekh Kababs

3. Kaliyente Rotizza - W/ Hot Jalapenos or Green Chilies.

4. Veggizza - W/ Paneer Jalfraize.

For Semifianls will try Naanazzas and forget about the Kangaroo kababs.

P2

Edited by prasad2 (log)

Cricket, seriously, is very much a pie game. Pork pies, sausage rolls, mustard, pickled onions. Oddly, it was at Lord's that I ate my first doner kebab - many years ago. I had never seen one before. Chilled cans of Foster's or swan if it's a hot day. Otherwise, pints of bitter. Thank you.

Cricket, seriously, is very much a pie game.  Pork pies, sausage rolls, mustard, pickled onions.  Oddly, it was at Lord's that I ate my first doner kebab - many years ago.  I had never seen one before.  Chilled cans of Foster's or swan if it's a hot day.  Otherwise, pints of bitter.  Thank you.

Doner kebab? At Lord's? Ewwww..... On the rare occasions I go to headquarters (Test tickets are hard to come by, and Yorkshire get to finals once in a blue moon) it is necessary to push the boat out, and take champagne, smoked salmon, strawberries, etc.

Adam

We are having a large crowd this time............................... lots of beer and a bunch of crazy Indians

Beer at 2 AM EST ? :shock::shock:

Is there a better time :wink: This Sunday it is an early mornng match and I am still getting requets for lots of cold beer.. go figure!!

Hmm ! Those folks are confident that India will win the Mar 20th (THursday ) outing ? :rolleyes:

anil

I am taking bets now  :wink: Regardless I think I am feeding 30 people on Sunday!!!

Give me the odds if they are a nickel or a dime. ANYTHING MORE THAN THAT COUNT ME OUT.

Is anyone up for this mornings match Silanka Vs Aussies.

I have about 18 to 20 guests coming in and I am working on some Goat Biryani. :unsure:

I was talking to folks back home -

India vs Pakistan -  Kebabs, vegetable pakoras, chicken tikka and lots of XXXRum(Army Canteen Issue) and Coke

India vs SriLanka - boti-kebab, sookha mutton, hox-mix from haldram in Gurgaon; and again Army Rum and Coke.

Needless to say these two matches always invoke hightened passions in the country.

one leonine-roars-from-my-stomach clickable smiley please

not that i know what boti-kebab, sookha or haldram are.

my tummy's growl or howl is more wolverine when i read:

From "The Perfect Hostess" Rose Henniker Heaton, Metheun 1931

The Squire invites the Local Cricket Team to lunch before the Match

M E N U

Cold lamb Cold Chicken Cold Ham

Fruit Salad

Ginger Beer

is that why they call you the jackal?

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais