• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

T-Bone

Stone

I just happened to be at costco.  When you're buying a pork shoulder, there's no need for a butcher.

ok. ok, use the old " I bought the discount steak while looking for a good pork butt" excuse..but another thing, the plates are way to 1993's....teal is the dead give away. Hey, I own them to, just trying to warn you..

What's teal?

The T-bone is the poor man's porterhouse. They have the cuts of meat (strip steak and tenderloin) but it's further down the tail than a porterhouse, thus the size of the strip is larger and loin is smaller.

Yeah, but what bone is that? A vertebrae? I just can't picture it.

What's teal?

A bird (duck-like) that one can hunt in northern Minnesota (if one is willing to get up extremely early in the morning, don waders, and find the gun and ammunition). We see them at our cabin near the Canadian border. They are small, but very good. Be sure to check for shot when eating, or one will be purchasing a crown (from the dentist).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Oh that's a T-bone all right.

tbone.jpg

As Klink says, the T-bone is the same idea as the porterhouse but it's cut from farther along the short-loin, at a point where the tenderloin is diminishing in size. Remember that the three major steakhouse steaks -- New York Strip, Filet Mignon, and Porterhouse -- all come from the same place on the carcass: the short-loin sub-primal. There's a T-shaped bone running along the length. On one side of the T is what, when butchered into steaks, would be called New York Strip, Kansas City Strip, Strip-loin, and sometimes, erroneously, Sirloin. On the other side of the T (the smaller side) is the tenderloin, which if butchered into steaks would produce filet mignon cuts. The Porterhouse or T-bone is a cross-section of both, with the bone still attached.

Not that I can tell for sure from the photo, but it looks medium-well to me and also seems to be between 1.5" and 2" in thickness.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i understand that a porterhouse, and a t-bone to a lesser extent, consist of a piece of tenderloin. i also understand that these cuts of meat are often dry aged for 28 days or so at better steakhouses. but, it's my understanding that filet mignon, which is the tenderloin, is *not* dry aged at these restaurants, and comes right out of the plastic wrap. so, my question i suppose, is, if the tenderloin is dry-aged, and presumably "better" for it, on the t-bone and porterhouse, why not when you order just the tenderloin in the form of filet mignon?

sounds like a new thread, unless there's a quick and simple answer. i've actually been wanting to ask this question in one form or another for quite some time.

if anyone has any comments on the above, post them here.

Edited by tommy (log)

There's a T-shaped bone running along the length.

Yes, yes, but what bone is it? From cow photos I googled, it appears to be the vertebrae? What other bone is back there? It's not part of the hip/pelvic structure? I mean, cows and people have pretty similar bones structures at this level, don't we?

So is the "t-shaped" bone the vertebrae hanging down from the spine, the gets cut in half by the butcher? But it doesn't seem that it can be the vertebrae, because I'd expect that the two muscles on either side would be the same, symmetrical and all that.

I think I need to spend an afternoon in a butcher shop.

Edited by Stone (log)

It's the lumbar vertebrae. That's why, when the mad-cow-disease scare hit Europe, they banned T-bone/Porterhouse/Florentine steaks -- this cut is part of the spinal column and therfore could contain the theoretically infected tissue.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steve's right.

But go hang out at the butchershop anyway. It's amazing what you can learn.

Write it up for TDG.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You're twisted around. There are two short loins in each animal: one on the left and one on the right. The bone isn't the spine, it's a vertabrae.

Ah. So the cows got two t-bones, back to back, so to say. Two tenderloins and two sirloins (or whatever), one on each side of the spine. (Which I'm pretty sure is made up to vertebrae.)

• 3 weeks later...

fc78f24e.jpg

Not as good as the last one. Fatty, with some tendon-like thingies.

And I'm having a problem getting it cooked through near the bone without overcooking the rest.

Edited by Stone (log)

Click below for more detailed info.

http://www.beeffoodservice.com/ncba/search...e=CUTS&Option=3

Steve, Please correct me if I am wrong, I once was told that the "Tenderloin", or rather this particular 'muscle' in the animal does not have any designated function, except during intercourse/reproduction ?

So, if this is true, and we find and eat an exceptional tough 'Filet Mignon', that this could be from a Rabbit ?

Peter