• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Corned Beef

col klink

The beefeth hath arriveth!

I think I just experienced my first mouth orgasm.  I gotta have more.  I'm such a nympho.

Klink, this is quite honestly the best beef I've ever tasted.

How would you rate it with a Canadian smokemeat sandwich?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The delivery came yesterday. To be blunt............holy shit this is good.

Could not help myself and took a few slices right away and it just melted in my mouth. For dinner we had some of the best corned beef sandwiches of our lives.

This morning for breakfast I made hash. The smoky flavor permeated but did not overwhelm the hash. The fat cap on the corned beef added an incredible succulence to the hash. The only down side was after breakfast I had to take a nap to sleep off the food coma. The beauty of having a home office :wink:

Tonight we are going out for dinner, but I am already thinking about hash tomorrow morning.

I think I just experienced my first mouth orgasm.  I gotta have more.  I'm such a nympho.

Well at least we know the Canadian Postal System came through! :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

One thing that drives me crazy (in a good way) is that you really can't wash the smokey aroma from your hands -- it's kind of like onions or garlic. Anyhow, I find myself scratching my upper lip, and I start salivating, thinking about the smoked meat. Must have more. Mongo needs smoked meat now! :blink::wacko:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

How would you rate it with a Canadian smokemeat sandwich?

Man, that's a loaded question. They're gonna kick me out of Canada for this...

I can quite honestly say that klink's beef is the absolute best smoked MEAT I've ever tasted - including many, many Montreal smoked meat sandwiches (both in Montreal and elsewhere). The smoke is perfect, it isn't overly salty, and the fat.. oh my, the fat.

I want to thank everyone for their praise; it certainly makes doing this more rewarding. That said, I think it's quite obvious that this little experiment was an enormous success and I can't wait to do it again.

edit: posted before I was done.

Next on the smoking agenda are pork shoulders and turkey breasts. If people are dying for more corned beef brisket, I can get a couple of those too. I'm going to be in San Francisco the later half of this week, but when I'm back, I'll smoke everything up.

Edited by col klink (log)

col klink, do you get your non-corned beef briskets at Cash and Carry as well? And where exactly is Cash and Carry?

I don't have a smoker :sad:, but I do bake a brisket once a month or so to eat with fried okra, baked beans, potato salad and cornbread. And, as you said - brisket isn't always easy to find in Seattle, so I'm always on the lookout for places to pick it up.

Here's a list of Cash and Carry stores. I've only been to the Ballard location but I'm planning on hitting the one on 4th pretty soon; it's a lot bigger. I haven't purchased a regular brisket but I'm sure they're whole and untrimmed. When I do a batch of brisket I'm sure I'll get it from C&C.

We had a discussion on inexpensive brisket in the greater Seattle area here:

Source for inexpensive Brisket?

I want to thank everyone for their praise; it certainly makes doing this more rewarding. That said, I think it's quite obvious that this little experiment was an enormous success and I can't wait to do it again.

edit: posted before I was done.

Next on the smoking agenda are pork shoulders and turkey breasts. If people are dying for more corned beef brisket, I can get a couple of those too. I'm going to be in San Francisco the later half of this week, but when I'm back, I'll smoke everything up.

Brisket! Brisket! Pork Shoulders! Bacon? :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks, ck - you rock! Funny what one does and doesn't notice when driving. I must've driven past the 4th Ave C&C - oh I don't know, HUNDREDS of times? - and never really paid attention. But I'll be stopping there very soon to check on brisket.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought it corned. This was the first time I ever tried this particular brand of corned brisket and I have to admit, it's my favorite. It's not as salty as most commercial ones. I cleaned out my local Cash and Carry not once, but TWICE. Cash and Carry is basically a restaurant supply store that's open to the public. If I want, I can buy half gallons of heavy cream.  :cool:

So far I've bought martini glasses, a cast iron bacon press, squeeze bottles, a double jigger and over 50lbs of corned beef brisket.

The most beautiful thing about their corned brisket is that it was only partially trimmed. I can't stress this enough people, if you're going to smoke your brisket, you almost want as much fat as possible. Don't worry, most of that fat renders out into my water tray, but that leaves your brisket juicy and the remaining fat smoooooth as silk.

Cash and Carry is a division of Smart and Final. BTW--there is no truth to the rumor that they are starting a German division call Strum and Drang.

You can find one near you at their web site

http://www.smartandfinal.com/store_locations.asp

Soc. (Husband of Xanthippe)

Congrats on your first post Socrates! Thanks for the tip on C&C, now if only they opened a store in Minnesota I'd be set.

edit: I'm very happy you and yours have enjoyed the smoked meat I sent you.

Edited by col klink (log)

You are the lucky spouse of Madame X.  Straighten up and fly right! :biggrin:

Uhh . . . Madam X :wub: , who owns the domain name www.naggingislove.com, and I will be celebrating or 23 anniversary soon (4-13) so I must be flying close to right.

Soc.

You are the lucky spouse of Madame X.  Straighten up and fly right! :biggrin:

Uhh . . . Madam X :wub: , who owns the domain name www.naggingislove.com, and I will be celebrating or 23rd anniversary soon (4-13) so I must be flying close to right.

Soc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Klink -- I've found a place that sells whole briskets in cryovac (10 pounds or so), and smaller bags of "Corned Beef Flats". These are about 2 pounds, and come with a little pouch of "spices". Is this what you used for your corned beef?