• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Limited or No Reservation Policies

vengroff

I've noticed here in the DC area that a fair number of places have limited or no reservation policies. Instead, you walk in and they take your name, hand you a pager/coaster, and send you to the bar.

The pager/coaster thing:

gp_coaster.gif

Now, when I want to go hang out in a crowded bar, I go hang out in a crowded bar. But when I want to sit down and have dinner, I'd like to be able to sit down and have dinner without waiting for some indefinite amount of time in a crowded bar. Am I in the minority here? Has the average local diner just gotten used to the status quo?

I'm willing to guarantee a reservation with a credit card or use a service like opentable.com that screens out members who are known to no-show. But I've noticed opentable.com coverage in the DC area is somewhat sparse as compared to e.g. New York. Seems many restaurant managers in this area are happy with the current situation as well.

Comments?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

One of my major pet peeves. Shows a greedy restaurant that puts profit ahead of hospitality. Cattle herding mentality. Move em in, cram em together, feed em, move em out.

Yeah it's a profit business, but reasonable profits can be made without sacrificing hospitality. At a certain level of service and cuisine accepting reservations is as much an element of hospitality as is smiling and welcoming the guests.

There is often justice though. After these places have run their course, had their day in the sun, and seats are easy to find, people don't seek them out. They've learned the hard way that the place doesn't take reservations and the wait is too long. How are they to know that since sales have fallen off the place now gladly accepts reservations? And why would they care?

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

This is also a peeve of mine, and the only place I will happily go to that uses it is Sweet Water Tavern, but at least they let you get on a "phone ahead" list so you can time when you arrive (how it's dfferent than making a reservation, I don't know). Usually the places with this system are not all that great, but are very popular (like Outback), and I just avoid them.

I hate this policy. We have kids. If we bring the kids, we want to be able to sit down when we arrive. If we don't bring them, we won't appreciate having to add an hour on to the already steep fee we are paying the sitter.

We would be more than happy to confirm with a credit card, but aren't given the option at most places.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 1 year later...

I was just thinking about how annoying these policies are, since I want to go to Zatinya (NEVER BEEN) over 4th of July weekend (no, not on the 3rd or 4th, but maybe on the 2nd), with a group, and we can't make a reservation...annoying. I wish places would at least take them on super-busy holiday weekends, but I get they have no incentive to, huh?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I've noticed here in the DC area that a fair number of places have limited or no reservation policies. Instead, you walk in and they take your name, hand you a pager/coaster, and send you to the bar.

what restaurants are you speaking about? the only ones i have seen these at are the likes of cheesecake factory, houstons and the such...seems to me you would expect them at places like these.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

All the restaurants owned by that group that has Carlyle Grand, Sweetwater, etc...plus a couple of Jose Andres's places...I know there are others I can't think of at the moment.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

The problem with accepting reservations is that everyone wants to come at the same time. In DC, 7:30 is the magic time. Restaurants use reservations as a form of traffic control. It make no sense to have a place sit empty until "prime time", and then only do one chaotic seating. Today's economics demand that seating throughout the evening be maximized.

Mark

All the restaurants owned by that group that has Carlyle Grand, Sweetwater, etc...

All of these have call ahead available. It works rather well and you never have to wait that long as they give you a good idea of the wait when you call. It does take a little flexibility, but its much better than nothing.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Ach, no-reservations policies! We hates them, my preciousss...

There's a wonderful restaurant in Philly- Chloe- that I never go to, because of their no-reservations policy. I don't like gambling on my dinner time. That goes double when I'm with a group of more than two.

All the restaurants owned by that group that has Carlyle Grand, Sweetwater, etc...

I went to Sweetwater Tavern last Tuesday night at 6:30 PM, and there was a 40-minute wait. They offered to call Artie's for me, and there was a 40-minute wait there too.

Their call-ahead policy has worked well for me in the past, but I had no idea there would be so many hundreds of people swarming at this particular time, certainly not at Sweetwater Tavern. Of all the large restaurants in Washington, I wonder if this company, Great American Restaurants, might be the king of moneymakers.

Ach, no-reservations policies! We hates them, my preciousss...

There's a wonderful restaurant in Philly- Chloe- that I never go to, because of their no-reservations policy. I don't like gambling on my dinner time. That goes double when I'm with a group of more than two.

Oh silly Andrew! You are MISSING OUT. I have NEVER had a wait at Chloe--just go on a weeknight and go at 7:30 or 8 instead of 6:30 or 7; I'll bet you no wait. Really, pm me--we can make an actual bet on this if you want! :biggrin:

-- William Grimes

I'm going to take the Larry David approach here, and say I support whatever policy happens to suit me best that night.

Waiting with a pager somewhere is the pits (although my karma is usually good on getting a table quickly).

However, I RARELY know when I'll be eating out somewhere more than a day in advance. Thus, if I call a place that does reservations, usually there'll be no tables left.

Of all the large restaurants in Washington, I wonder if this company, Great American Restaurants, might be the king of moneymakers.

I would think Great American and Clydes are neck and neck. BOth do decent food, at reasonable but not cheap prices, have multiple HUGE restaurants and have waits at nearly every lunch and dinner every day.

Sounds like a recipe for success. Why didn't I think of that?

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell